Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (Peggy M, mick53, Steelonsteel, Otto Skorzeny, Robert Crandall, Charles in CA, JW51),
130
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,267 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2016 Posts: 916 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2016 Posts: 916 | Today I took the flywheel back to the machine shop and when I laid his straight edge against the flywheel, it was coned, just as I said. He took the straightedge and laid it across the surface and began sliding feeler gauges under it. He said that it was not coned, but would put it back on the grinder. I picked it up an hour later and when I do my test, it is now flat. Since I didn’t have to pay for it, I was not going to spend any more time talking about it. The flywheel is flat and in my garage now.
The clutch was another matter- I took the clutch back to the place that I got it from (they only manufacture clutches and brakes). The old guy took one look at my disc, and said “see those marks right there? That is where you stabbed the transmission in and the splines weren’t engaged…let me put it on the lathe and I’ll check it.” 15 minutes later he comes out from the back and tells me that the disc was warped/bent from pushing against it during installation, and that he see many like this. He straightened it (it was .008” out) and said I was good to go now. I’m not sure what to think, but my impression was that he was being totally honest with me. I don’t recall being aggressive with the trans during install, but who knows- it was over 5 years ago.
My concern about the yoke in the trans housing is that I want to make sure that the yoke goes far enough back into the housing to engage the entire bushing in the tail housing…
I’m still Waiting on trans parts- I’m going to rebuild the trans while it’s out.
Thank you for all the info and pics. I think I’m going to reverse my rear springs to get them back to their stock positions ( I had swapped them around to move the axle back to the center of the fender arch), this will move my axle forward and my driveshaft will then be too long-then I can have it cut to the right length. When I had the driveshaft made, my measurement was 1/4” too short. Probably not a big deal, but the yoke feels much tighter in the tail housing when it is pushed in another 1/2”. I only have about 1/2”of travel at the yoke. Pushing the yoke in another 1/2” will give me 1” exposed. The yoke just seems short to me, but I am no expert. I want to,get rid of the high speed vibration that I am having- sliding the yoke back in in the tail housing only another 1/2”gives me much less slop there. The bushing is probably worn, which I am going to resolve during the rebuild. There is plenty of room in the yoke - I can push it all the way back to the housing until it is just about touching the machined edge of the yoke.
Maybe I’m just paranoid, as the other two yokes I have pulled out of transmissions were considerably longer than this one…
Lugnutz- the pic of the yoke with your hand on it is the same as my yoke - but I can see that yours had been riding much further inside the tail housing. It is rusty,only about 3/4” at the end- which seems correct to me.
Also, my truck is a 3600, and so I get none of the joy that you guys get when you go looking for driveshafts- there simply aren’t any one piece driveshafts that will fit my longer frame (at least none that I could find in any salvage yard).
Last edited by Norcal Dave; 05/04/2023 2:24 PM.
~ Dave 1950 Chevrolet 3600 3/4-ton with 261 engine & T5 Transmission | | | |
Entire Thread
|
Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Norcal Dave | 04/07/2023 2:35 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| EchoBravoSierra | 04/07/2023 2:53 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Norcal Dave | 04/07/2023 3:08 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Lugnutz | 04/07/2023 4:02 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| BC59 | 04/07/2023 7:37 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Norcal Dave | 04/07/2023 10:21 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Jon G | 04/08/2023 12:37 AM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Norcal Dave | 04/08/2023 12:45 AM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| BC59 | 04/08/2023 2:09 AM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Norcal Dave | 04/08/2023 4:32 AM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Joe H | 04/08/2023 1:10 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Lugnutz | 04/08/2023 1:45 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Jon G | 04/08/2023 2:53 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| BC59 | 04/08/2023 3:29 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| NorthCoast3800 | 04/08/2023 3:42 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Jon G | 04/08/2023 5:11 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| 52Carl | 04/08/2023 9:14 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Norcal Dave | 04/09/2023 1:17 AM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| EdPruss | 04/09/2023 3:42 AM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Lugnutz | 04/09/2023 3:49 AM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| EdPruss | 04/09/2023 11:54 AM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| DaveV | 04/09/2023 12:32 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Norcal Dave | 04/09/2023 1:41 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Lugnutz | 04/09/2023 2:34 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| BC59 | 04/09/2023 7:42 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Norcal Dave | 04/09/2023 9:11 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Jon G | 04/09/2023 9:24 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Norcal Dave | 04/11/2023 4:22 AM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Joe H | 04/10/2023 12:25 AM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Norcal Dave | 04/11/2023 4:23 AM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Norcal Dave | 05/02/2023 4:59 AM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Joe H | 05/02/2023 12:43 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| NorthCoast3800 | 05/02/2023 10:44 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Norcal Dave | 05/02/2023 11:57 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| NorthCoast3800 | 05/03/2023 5:58 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| klhansen | 05/03/2023 8:03 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Lugnutz | 05/03/2023 6:39 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Norcal Dave | 05/04/2023 4:56 AM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| NorthCoast3800 | 05/04/2023 7:54 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| EdPruss | 05/04/2023 10:43 AM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Norcal Dave | 05/05/2023 3:10 AM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Norcal Dave | 05/06/2023 6:23 PM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| Norcal Dave | 05/21/2023 11:41 AM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| WICruiser | 05/21/2023 11:47 AM |
Re: Issues with T5 swap- vibrations, etc...
| NorthCoast3800 | 05/21/2023 4:29 PM | |
| |