Dayum! Why did I never think of that - once you know it, it seems so obvious.
Not a huge fan of plastigauge ether, but that's all I ever used. That brass shim method seems so much better
That's one advantage to being older than dirt- - - - -or at least almost older than Plastigauge. I learned to fit bearings from a bunch of guys who were fixing cars in the 1920's and 30's, and they were a LOT older than Plastigauge!
Regarding the journals that are worn oval- - - - -don't most service manuals recommend MEASURING the crankshaft journal with a micrometer, and having acceptable limits for "out of round" and "taper"???????? I've also been able to coax a few more miles out of a worn crankshaft before regrinding with a long piece of emery cloth and a "shoeshine" action to get it closer to round, and then draw-filing the rod cap to get the clearance close to right after running out of shims.
Jerry