When I pulled the front main bearing cap of my '28 engine in Lurch (see links below), it also broke the front gasket that goes to the cam gear area. There was a slight knock in that bearing, so I needed to remove a few shims to get the clearance into spec.

After putting the cap back on, with some gasket goo on the front where the gasket tore, it leaked anyway from the cam gear area. Since I don't drive my old truck very much, I added a cookie sheet and a baking pan as 'depends' under the engine to catch the drips. Rube Goldberg made me do it.

On one 10 mile drive, I measured the amount of oil leakage and found that Lurch drips a little under 1 teaspoon per mile. Not too bad.

Oh well, when you're 95 years old, you're gonna drip!

See the attached pic. ;-)

Dean
Attachments
OilPanDripCatcher.jpg (56.64 KB, 221 downloads)
Lurch's depends.

Last edited by Rustoholic; 02/01/2023 8:42 PM.

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
Lurch: 1927 1-Ton Chevy Cattle Truck
Old and ugly is beautiful! -- The Saga
Lurch's Gallery
Justin: 1928 Chevrolet AB Canopy Express
In the Stovebolt Gallery