The ‘51 3600 with original 216 has finally made it to the top of the to-do list. Last Fall I started hearing a slight knock from the middle of the engine. After spending quite a bit of time trying to find a easy reason for a new noise I just parked the truck.

The truck had 43,000 documented miles when I bought it 9 years ago. I checked the rod clearances then and they were just in spec. Now at almost 60,000 miles it’s time I think to pull a few spacer tabs.

This morning after draining the oil and letting it sit for a hour or so I strained the last pint through a white paper towel. No sparkles. And that’s good!

Currently the pan is pulled and letting the dripping stop then I’ll break out the.001-.003 plasta gauge and see what I find.

Plan is to check all clearances and use strip of .002 feeler gauge as a go/no gauge to set all the clearances.

Hard to believe I know but this really isn’t my favorite thing to do.

RonR


RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5