Success! Sorta. Shim on one side of #1 cap was a single.0015 shim. Other side had two .0015, so split those put one on each side and check. .0001 clearance. Hummm. Have to think about that.

With #1 cap off, move back to #4, pull the cap and loosen 2 & 3 a few turns.

Mold the Best gasket to shape using the main cap, coat with Lucas oil additive (slippery stuff).

With the Sneaky Pete and the crank rotation via a big screwdriver in the clutch housing it took about 1 minute to pull the new top rope seal into place! Unbelievable. Last time it was a battle royal. This time almost too easy.

I think the reason for the ease of installation was the crank was dropped quite a bit more. Last time I was far too cautious on loosening main bearing bolts.

Now if I haven’t caused a front seal leak this project is near completion.

RonR

Last edited by moparguy; 01/27/2023 2:42 PM.

RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5