Dave, thanks for the info. I didn’t check all rods at the bottom of their stroke, some yes. I’ll check lateral movement at the pan rail on all.

Now For The Rest of The Story.

Back on January 3rd, 2016 I installed a new Best Gasket rear main rope seal using a Sneaky Pete tool. Had pure heck getting the top seal in place. Did all the tricks. Loosen crank (a lot) lubed seal, and others things I’ve forgot. On the bottom seal I tapped and rolled it in, when sure it was seated, cut the ends a bit proud. Put it all together…….had a small leak. But better than it was. Over the years the leaks gotten worse.

When the rear main cap was pulled today to check clearances, the crank seal is about 3/8” short on one end in the rear main cap. Guess I know why it leaks.

The other end is about 3/16th proud, it fits up into the block where the seal has pulled back.

New seal ordered, now to lick that calf again.

RonR


RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5