Ron and Ryan,

Starter grinding...had a similar experience not long ago. Mine would sorta "groan" and rumble at me about every five starts, then catch and go. It got progressively worse and I worried it would leave me high and dry someday. My research in the "search" page here told me I likely had a starter drive going bad.

I was afraid to take the starter apart myself, but necessity (and no reliable vendors in the area) forced me to take the plunge. In the end, I discovered that, like the transmissions on these old trucks, these are really simple systems and even a novice can tackle them.

I did ask for help ahead of time, and here's the thread for that request:

https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...in=148654&Number=1005713#Post1005713

This website has amazing folks on it. Trust me when I say that this is something you can do yourselves. My entire starter core will likely need to be replaced next time (see the photos of my well-worn one), but I have no fear about jumping in and swapping it out now.

Oh, and the stock rebuild kits from NAPA do not have the correct length starter drive, but I have included the correct number of the one I got from Amazon.

Best Wishes,

Jim


1957 Chevrolet 3100 Stepside
235, 3-speed w/OD
In the Stovebolt Gallery