Well, Ryan and I spent a little time on Friday afternoon working on the truck. We were going to spend the day fishing, but a storm blew us off the lake early.
We worked on trying to get the motor started and running on it's own. Out of the gate, we are still having issues with the starter "grinding". Sometimes it engages the flywheel just fine other times it doesn't. Next item on the task list is to pull the starter and see what we can see.
Putting a little gas in the carb, we were able to start the motor and get it to run for 10-20 seconds before it would die. We have a 2 gallon gas can on the side of the truck with the end of the fuel line from the tank stuck down in the can. We knew there was air in the lines so figured after several starting attempts, it would fill.
There is a filter between the pump and carb. We pulled it and it was dry. We then disconnected the fuel line going into the fuel pump and tried to blow some air from back at the tank through it. Was difficult at first, but then finally passed through. We then used the little siphon hose we bought and was able to push some fuel through the line. Lot's of black stuff came out. We did this several times until the fuel seemed to come out clean. We then pulled the fuel line from the pump to the carb. It seemed fine.
Figuring that the fuel pump is bad, we decided to go ahead and pull it. Had to scrape off a bunch of gunk before I could get a wrench on it. Thankfully, it came off without any issues.
Here are a few pics...
Fuel pump (back) Fuel pump (side) Going to order a new one but I have a question. I have seen that there are two types. One for vacuum wipers and one for electric. I am assuming I should just get the electric one since I would probably want electric when it comes to that (very, very low on the to-do list...given that we only get about 6 inches of rain a year!)
Also, went to our first swap meet yesterday. Man, that can be a dangerous place to go. Picked up a few items from a Bolter (thanks Dave!) as well as given Ryan lots of ideas for shop projects. He's taking welding in high school and is starting to make/sell things. Pretty cool! He has a wagon wheel porch swing that he is just about done with and hoping to sell it for a nice profit at the county fair next month. I'll post a few pics of it when he is done.
Have a great Sunday everyone!
Ron and Ryan