Good morning! My son and I purchased a 1952 Chevy 3100 last week. We are both so excited. And terrified. True greenhorns here. Mechanical experience limited to working on dirtbikes (two stroke top end rebuild and a bottom end rebuild thanks to a detailed Youtube video!) Other than that, we fall into the high will, low skill quadrant.

Truck didn't have a key when purchase so not sure if motor runs. Seller indicated it hasn't run in several years. I have found that it has a 58-59 235 in it. We have since had a key made for it so one step down, many to go.

I read the Bringing a dead engine back to life here and was going to proceed accordingly. On Saturday, I went and bought a siphon pump to attempt to siphon out any fuel. Either the hose wasn't long enough or the tank was empty. So, before I go any further, should I pull the tank and take it to get it cleaned, etc? We are hoping to make this a daily driver. Should I look a just buying a new tank? In cab or underbed? We have a very limited budget but safety trumps.

Aside from the tank, what other steps would be recommended? It was converted to a 12 volt. The battery that is in it is corroded at the terminals. Should I hold off buying a battery for now and just attach a charger/starter when attempting to turn over?

My son and I look forward to learning from everyone on this forum. I'm sure we are going to make a lot of mistakes along the way, but hopefully, they will be of the "laugh about it later" type.

Thanks in advance!

Ron and Ryan


Ron and Ryan Hill
1952 Chevy 3100