The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (MickeyP, Cletus1950, 78buckshot, Nick in Manitou), 102 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,720
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
Have a almost new crate 350 with aftermaket "Sanderson" headers installed in my ride. I can't keep the mounting bolts tight. Especially the rear ones. What's the 'trick' to get the bolts to stay tight? Thanks in advance.


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
what gaskets are you using? have you measured the depth of the holes compared to length of bolts? how long are the bolts? what did you torque them to?

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
There are header bolts with locking clips out there. Maybe made by ARP. Check with your local speed shop.


Drew
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 99
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 99

Last edited by Dogs51Burb; 08/27/2012 11:39 AM.
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 193
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 193
Beltfed,
You could always drill a hole in the head of the bolt across perpendicular to the threads. Loom a piece of wire through the bolt hole and then onto the adjacent bolt, twist wire tight and WHALAA! WOrked for me on an old El Camino I used to have. Brian


1952 GMC model 473 dump truck
1951 Chevy 1500 stepside
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,839
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,839
There's a really neat cast iron accessory called an "exhaust manifold". Installing a set of them is the only surefire way to avoid dealing with loose header bolts.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 283
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 283
And find a way to install the header or the manifold WITHOUT soft gaskets, like the factory did, then the bolts will stay tight.
Comments?


Bob Taylor
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
Amen to Jerry's post!!
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
Gasket material makes a big difference, some will continue to compress till they cut right through. Try a thinner harder gasket, or go with the lock bolts. The safety wire mentioned above would be a neat option and not to hard to do. Studs might hold a little better, you can run them in tight then use nuts and lock washers.

What does the flange of the header look like on the gasket side? Can it be ground a little to flatten it out? Some header makers are terrible at this, some get it right. The wider and flatter it is, the better it will seal.

Joe

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
Thanks much for all the input. Now it's question and answer time. I can't get a torque wrench on most of the bolts due to space restriction, so it's German torque (goot und tight) on them. As a retired miltary aircraft 'wrench' I'm very familiar with safety wiring. I recall that it is not used to keep the bolt at proper torque so much as it is used as a visual inspection aid to see the fastener hasn't loosend. With that said, it could very well work. I opted for headers as they look better and help the engine breath better. Looking into the locker bolts. Thanks to all.


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
I know what your saying concerning access to the bolt heads. I ended up using Allen head ( socket type ) bolts on my headers. For the heads I can't get a wrench on, I bent an old Allen key at about a 30* angle.


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
Dead-soft copper gaskets are the trick. Two years now and no re-torque after the initial heat cycle.


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
britcon is right with the allen heads in a lot of situations. I've got the small hex head bolts on my pickup and have had no trouble in over 10 years. It is tough to get to a couple of the bolts though!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
The Ram'sHorn cast headers solve the problem plus they helpthe engine breathe better. Some old scrap yards have them. or pay the big $ at speedway.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
The idea that headers breathe better is true only if you're running your engine at high rpm a majority of the time. They definitely have their place, but I find that manifolds are better for a street vehicle.

I don't see torque being an issue, just get them nice and tight, but they will keep backing off, that's a common issue with header bolts.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,839
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,839
After doing extensive dyno testing on round track race engines, (at least 300 dyno runs) I pretty much got over the "headers breathe better" myth. Unless you're willing to custom-build a set of equal-length header tubes and adjust the length for a specific torque gain in a particular RPM range, the only purpose for a header is eye candy. They dramatically increase underhood temperature, and when, not if they start leaking, they destroy spark plug wires. I also got over believing in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and honest politicians!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
...jerry, you just have a way of putting things in perspective smile

I have a set of headers laying under one of my work tables but decided against them for my panel. I put on a set of 283 ram horns I traded for. I think they look better than the "eye candy"


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
I have bought some of the aftermarket cast iron ram horns for around $60 each (China).

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,839
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,839
Do they fit without a lot of cleanup on the castings, maybe evening up the block/head fit on a belt sander or a milling machine? Lodge cast iron cookware is made in China now, and the quality is pretty good, but nothing like the foundry in Tennessee used to produce.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 35
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 35
Back to the original question and assuming that you already invested in the headers and exhaust.

Even though Sanderson grinds the flanges and does not require anything more than sealant I run a copper gasket and good bolts. If your using the black oxide bolts that came with the headers try using ARP 6 point header bolts as they have a proper rolled thread. I keep the originals to mock up my next build.

I have used the stage 8 locking fastners and they work great once installed but it can be difficult getting the clips on if you have big hands. Breslin Performance in AZ made some locking bolts that used a center pin to lock a split bolt in place. I think they are out of business now and wish I had a bought a few extra sets.

I use 6 point ARP bolts since you often have to use an open end to get to the bolts inside a radius bend. If you run stainless bolts be sure to use anti-sieze on them and look for the high temp version that has copper in it. That goes for the Stage 8 products too.

I have two trucks with Sanderson headers and one car with orignal rams horns. At the end of the day its your truck enjoy it.


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0