Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,269 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 187 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 187 | Hi all, I am fairly stumped on something that I thought should be pretty simple. When I drive my 58, 3600 there is always a clanging sound behind the drivers seat. Sounds like it is coming from closer to the far left of the cab. I have checked for something loose but nothing. Thought of something in the gas tank but that produce different sounds depending on gas level. Any thoughts? Rick
Rick 58 3600 4 on the floor
| | | | | Joined: May 2009 Posts: 134 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2009 Posts: 134 | remove the entire seat top and bottom and drive around..
I like fixing stuff.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 835 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 835 | May be the gas level float in the tank?
Kurt | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | a baffle broken loose inside the tank isn't affected by fuel level unless the tank is right near empty, just clunks around randomly
Bill | | | | | Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 187 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 187 | Well I guess it is possible it has something to do with the gas tank because the gauge doesn't really work. When I start the truck the the needle jumps up to the empty line and thats it when I turn it off it goes down
Rick 58 3600 4 on the floor
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | time to pull the sender and see if the float is still attached to it  Bill | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,839 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,839 |
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | Did you read the post about the snake along for the ride?
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 698 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 698 | Make sure the tank is secure and not moving in its brackets.
My Fleet: 19411953195919651966 1953 Willy's Pickup John Vegetarian- old Indian word for bad hunter
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,997 Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator | | Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,997 | Well I found a ping pong ball and some unrelated hardware in my external tank on my 2 ton. A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired. 1948 Chevy 2-Ton | | | | | Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 323 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 323 | Its that beer bottle hanging on a string your buddy left you.
These old bolts are in my blood. Hard thing is focusing on just one.
1937 Chevy 1/2 ton panel 1953 GMC 2 ton. future car hauler
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,987 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,987 | Its that beer bottle hanging on a string your buddy left you. My Dad in his drinking days used to stash his empty beer bottles behind the seat on his 46 1 ton. In fact, I believe part of the inner body panel had been removed, leaving room between the inner and outer body. When we used to clean that out periodically, there were usually enough empties in there to fill a whole case! When I read the title of this thread, that was my first thought!  | | | | | Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 187 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 187 | Bill and Kurt I am guessing you guys might be on the right track. To check the float do I pull that circular disk off the middle of the top of the tank. What will I be looking for when I do this. And if the float is off what do I do about it. Oh it wasn't a beer bottle, gremlins, mother in law, snake or a ping pong ball. Thanks for all the good ideas though. Its driving me nuts. I even took the door panel off. Nothing! Rick
Rick 58 3600 4 on the floor
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | yes, that 'disk' is the base of the sending unit, looks like this with the float missing - you could try to spot the float and fish it out [brass if original], or buy a new float to replace it and put up with the clanging  but don't be surprised if it's a loose baffle, I've had it happen Bill | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 | yes, that 'disk' is the base of the sending unit, looks like this Bill Come on now Bill... Lets be honest here. It going to look like THIS Sending unit truth! 
Give me ambiguity or give me something else
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 725 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 725 | Could it be an old lug wrench between the tank and cab? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 | You said the left side (back). Check down the back side of the cab, too. There is a cavity between the rear floor panel and the outside. There may be a wrench or bottle that may have fallen down and is rattling around.
Dennis -there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 640 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 640 | Well, they haven't found Jimmy Hoffa yet....  | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 | Don't look into your gas tank with a lighter or match for light...Just sayin. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 814 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 814 | I'd pull the seat out and see if I could fish around behind the tank with a coat hanger or something.
1956 Chevy 3200
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 | Pull the tank already... by the time your done fishing it will have rusted away... Besides how else are you gonna get use to drilling out broken off bolts and screws, busting off easy outs or recovering the 78 cents in loose change and 2 stale Pall Malls that have rolled under there?
Give me ambiguity or give me something else
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 86 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 86 | loose nut behind the wheel??? | | | | | Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 187 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 187 | You guys are all to funny. The truck is pretty darn clean. Cavity, hoffa, etc. I'm starting to deduct that it must be the tank. Although I am reluctant to start that til I have exhausted all the easy things like Hoffa. I had Monday off and decided to do a couple of things to the truck. I started 4 jobs and fixed 0. So I just took it for a spin. Thanks Rick
Rick 58 3600 4 on the floor
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 | Any one else notice the threads with the most action are the ones with the most mystery about what the answer is? 
Give me ambiguity or give me something else
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 187 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 187 |
Rick 58 3600 4 on the floor
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 127 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 127 | I'm just glad its not always me that has the weird problems, seems like we all do... | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 289 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 289 | My tank will make noise when its empty or if my fuel filter plugs. Sounds likes it "oil canning". Hope that helps. Taking off the cap to equalize pressure helps.
Last edited by 57_StepSide; 04/12/2012 2:51 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 187 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 187 | hey guess what? the noise disappeared
Rick 58 3600 4 on the floor
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 | It's just hiding,cuz it knows it's about to get caught.... | | |
| |