The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Wayne67vert, MickeyP, Otto Skorzeny, Bill Hanlon), 176 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,213
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
I found a dude who is sitting on two 1953ish GMC school busses... looks like a '53 GMC truck front end with a bus body with the real rounded back, like this one only these busses have longer bodies.

So the question is.. do busses rock, or do they suck?


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
they rock if yer doin it right, they suck w/ the air cleaner off grin

depends on what ya want'em for - not much for daily drivers, but if the bodies haven't rotted to the point of leaking, could make ok motor homes if yer into that - as yard art they make great storage sheds - parts'll be like parts for the 1.5T and up, scarcer and a bit more of a struggle to work on

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
I've yet to see a really well done camper made out of a schoolbus.. they all end up looking like.. well.. a schoolbus made into a camper.

I think if I was gunna make a camper out of a bus, i'd go for one of those old city busses.. i saw a couple early 80's rounded busses on eBay.. I used to call them "space busses" since they looked more like some kind of spacecraft.. one of those would make a decent motorhome deal.

I'm goin' out there tomorrow and snap some pictures.. hes got lots of stuff out there, and is pretty motivated to get rid of it since he's retiring.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 265
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 265
The old GMC 4104 buses make good motorhomes. My grandfather built two for himself and a couple for other people back in the '70's. Normally the city buses are geared for city cruising and don't have the baggage compartments.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 323
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 323
They rock as far as how they look.

As school buses. Cool cool

Sabrina


Sabrina
'54 3100

Now cruising in the Passing Lane

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 543
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 543
One of the Studebaker guys here in OKC restored a '47 Stude school bus for his wife, who is a now-retired school bus driver for the Putnam City district. It says "Rock-and-Roll High School" on the sides, and is a truly restored bus, correct seats, engine, even a brass fire extinguisher.

She actually drove that bus to work regularly (no kids, of course!).


Pessimist - Sees glass as half-empty. Optimist - Sees glass as half-full. Gov't- Sees glass and takes it from you because you have a glass.
Political Correctness: A philosophical belief system bereft of common sense and logic, that supports and rewards ignorance and stupidity.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 688
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 688
I have always been a fan of an old School Bus.

Cliff59


Deluxe \'52, Savoy \'54 Apache59
"She may not be the youngest girl at the ball, but she can still turn a head or two."
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
yeah, the big bus I'd like to have is the older mid 50's scenicruser style, like this one - maybe Fumblin wants this kinda housebus? grin

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
That scenicruser style bus is pretty sweet.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 198
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 198
Now we're talkin'...That '53 looks like a great starting point. There are a couple of rodded ones in this area. Flat yellow.. chrome wheels .. low... big motors... sc part of school crossed out..and a k instead of the h.
Love the sceni-cruiser. A seniors group here has one like that, but the top isn't so tall.
Many people make motorhomes out of the old GM's. We still have a couple in the fleet. Now those sound like a bus should!


Attitude - The difference between an adventure and an ordeal!
Deja Moo - The feeling you've heard this bull**** before!
'63 Chev Fleetside Longbox 'Rusto-rod' 'Big Red'
'69 or'70 or ? Mantaray DuneBuggy
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 101
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 101
Fumblin46,

My friends and I all pitched in a purchased a school bus. Plan on converting it to a party bus to drive to NASCAR races. Ours is the long type but the one your talking about would be perfect.

Roger


Roger
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45469713@N00/?saved=1
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 314
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 314
If the bus is rockin' don't bother knockin' grin


IRWIPI 2005 Peoples Choice
Inky,
"It's not that I haven't done IT... It's that I haven't done IT yet."

--------------------
'48 1-1/2 ton Dump
'57 Chevy Panel
'59 Chevy 2 ton Dump
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 191
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 191
As a school bus driver, I think they're pretty cool. I'd like to find one of the old short busses to set up to teach bus safety, but I'd like to build it to be able to pull the front wheels so it'd get the attention of the high school kids. There used to be a little 50 Chevy short bus that was used on a side road route by a private individual, sure wish I knew what happened to it.

Rob

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 22
E
Apprentice
Apprentice
E Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 22
Gotta weigh in on this one, as I am Captain of the Emerald Gypsy. I know it was made by the "Other Guys", but you might enjoy checking her out anyway.

http://www.happyhippie.be/hippievehicles.htm

Cap'n Mark

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
Years ago I owned a '66 GMC (48 passenger) school bus. It was a lot of fun. But if you think a Big Bolt takes a lot of room, put one of those in your back yard.


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
That's what you call a S'Cool' bus.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 56
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 56
I love old school buses also.
My bus was featured in the January new guys.

I also got a 53 3/4 that just this afternoon I had to change the fuel filter to get it running.
2 1954 one tons.

I gotta cut this short as I got to pickup my grandsons at school.....of course I use the bus!

Jim


Here is a link to some stuff about my brothers and I
http://bus-plunge.blogspot.com/search?q=hemmings
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 44
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 44
Fumblin:

Maybe this one would be more your style:

original video link broken frown

Can't tell if it was originally a bus or not, but the overall shape is similar and it sure does make a good lookin' motorhome.

Bob

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
I've seen some info on that motorhome - it was originally built as a camper.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 191
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 191
egypsy, I saw your bus on another site and thought that was about the coolest bus conversion I'd seen. Great looking wood work and I like the color too.

Rob

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
The guy is convinced the busses are worth $700 a whack..he maintains the one runs strong, but it dosent look like its moved in 20 years.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
It would be cool to see a correctly restored old school bus, simply because there aren't that many of them around anymore.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 183
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 183
I saw an article in our paper about the GM Futurliner 1939-40. Here's the Ottawa Citizen's article: http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/driving/story.html?id=b1ca5cb6-dfc1-403d-85b2-317ac898ebee
It recently sold for $4 million. It has a spiral staircase to get up to the driver's seat. It says there are 12 built and still a few out there. Looks cool to me!


1958 Chevy 1/2 ton Apache Stepside Longbed
Never trust a driver with a collision shop courtesy car
Photo Album
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
Yea, if this was a futureliner i'd have no problem shellin' out $700 for 'em. smile


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 140
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 140
do you have any pictures of the buses


Now boltless but looking
1951 F-1 350/350
1965 Mustang 355 glide
1971 F-100 401 fe it hates me
1972 Maverick 302 c4
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 75
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 75
Did you see the GM bus on the Barret/Jackson bids that went for 4.1 million.

super250six


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0