The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (FAST55, Phak1, Gib70, DadsFirstPickup, Bill Hanlon), 135 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#198407 01/16/2006 5:36 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 140
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 140
What kind of vehicle do you use to bring your old bolt home


Now boltless but looking
1951 F-1 350/350
1965 Mustang 355 glide
1971 F-100 401 fe it hates me
1972 Maverick 302 c4
#198408 01/16/2006 5:48 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
In my case, I had a 59 1 ton, that was only a few miles from where I live. I had a big wrecker tow it for me. But due to the angle of my driveway, I had to use a come-along (ratched winder) to pull the truck up into the driveway.

I then used the 59 once fixed to tow my 47 jeep home.

On my 72 truck, it was in the neighbor's driveway so I aired up the tires and got a couple of buds to push it into my driveway. So its been pretty easy for me.

#198409 01/16/2006 7:03 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I've driven several of mine home. Three I've had delivered by a tow truck. Last summer I finally bought a trailer, and since then I've used my own trailer to drag new fun home.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#198410 01/16/2006 7:19 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
I used my '02 Silverado 2500 with a car trailer to bring home the '42 about 170 miles one way. With my '59 Viking, I was planning to use a rented tow bar, because I thought that it would weigh too much for a standard car trailer. But I got lucky and was able to drive it all the way (65 miles) with only adding oil and coolant.
When I upgraded trucks a couple years ago, I went from a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton (glad that I did) as the difference in torque is like night and day.


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
#198411 01/16/2006 8:15 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 112
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 112
i've got a 97 Z-71 and a slightly modified( or hacked up)16ft utillity trailer that has made a many project get'n trips,the last trip was just over 600 miles(round trip)and was the first time I had any trouble.I would like to upgrade to a newer 3/4ton like J Lucas but I have a bad habbit of spending the new truck fund on old stuff,example,last trip the typical intake leak on Z-71'S became a bad leak,especially pull'n a loaded trailer,run hot if not pay'n attn.,that was in early Dec. the truck still leaks but I just got two boxes of front end parts for a 49sedan project.This is'nt a hobby,this is a disease!!!!


1949 Styleline Special
1972 K5 Blazer
#198412 01/16/2006 10:19 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
I pulled my '66 C-60 home,about 2 miles,then over a summit to a friends place,about 20 miles,behind my '57 GMC half ton,on a tow bar. Later,I towed it back over that summit to my house again with my '62 one ton on the same tow bar.(handled a LOT better that time) Pretty much everything else I've had to move,I've used the '62 for. I used an old U-Haul trailer hitch,the kind that attachews with flatiron hooks and chains and big wing nuts. I welded brackets onto the crossbar and mounted my old tow bar to it,so now I can use it either way,and it connects easily. Works like a champ!
Speed


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck
#198413 01/16/2006 4:56 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
I pull my stuff around, with my, Antique Holmes Wreckers, See them here, http://community.webshots.com/album/116208177WBeZZP


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
#198414 01/16/2006 6:23 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 8
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 8
After partial disassembly (front clip and doors off) I towed my '51 3100 home with my $75 '77 Datsun pick-up and a tow rope. That had to look funny!

#198415 01/16/2006 8:44 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
I brought the red58 home on a UHaul trailer behind my 250 powered 67 3/4T - worked fine, but took over 4 hours instead of the 3 the trip takes unloaded - I also dragged in a 58 parts panel w/ the 67 after I put a 327 in it - much better!

nowadays a friend has an 03 dually duramax and trailer so I let him deal w/ heavy haulin, but I use red for non-trailer jobs grin

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
#198416 01/16/2006 9:40 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 284
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 284
WE pulled mine out of the snow with a bulldozer and draged it thru the fields.I rented a u-haul moving truck and trailer. We brought her home in a snow storm.It was so much fun


The crew that works on the \'42 --Sara, Hannah and Abby
#198417 01/16/2006 11:33 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
I drove it home,half way them got a tow truck


dan-pa
#198418 01/16/2006 11:38 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 73
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 73
I pulled the 38 Chevy dump on a trailer with a 2001 Chevy dump.I'm sure it was the fastest it's ever gone smile

#198419 01/16/2006 11:48 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 268
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 268
This is the rig I use Now, its a 1994 GMC 3500 with 1996 28\' Gooseneck trailer . But I did bring my 1965 GMC 2500 Dually home behind the same 1994 GMC with a Tow Bar all the way from Crooked River Ranch in Oregon. and I used the same tow bar to bring home a 1986 Suzuki Samurai (yes it saids 1987 on the album, that is what I was told, on the title its a 1986).

But the BIG fun was bring home the 1966 GMC 1500 with bad clutch, I started out on the tow bar, broke a bolt, so we removed the tow bar and I tryed driving it the rest of the way, about 15 miles out the clutch gave all the way out, so we pushed it the rest of the way with the 94 GMC 3500, I forgot to bring a chain, doh!

So what have I learned? Use the trailer on bigger trucks, and the tow bar oon the wee little ones.....

#198420 01/17/2006 1:07 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 67
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 67
I had to go bush for mine. I drove a 4wd Pajero. If the weather had changed i would not be able to get out. It was a 3000km round trip. The tow-ball stripped its nut 600km into the journey. I tied the trailer back on and drove to the next town where i managed to swap 20L of petrol for a tow-ball to a lady who had run out of fuel. A good trade i thought. The rest of the trip was great.
Brendon

#198421 01/17/2006 1:24 AM
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Learned my lesson the hard way about 15 years ago -- don't screw around when you're moving old iron.

I do my hauling with my '95 Cummins-Dodge 3500 and a 25-foot gooseneck (equipped with a 9,000-lb Superwinch-brand winch). Picture of the rig at work

Usually, this rig hauls hay, produce and farm equipment. But sometimes it gets to play!

smile
John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
#198422 01/17/2006 2:07 AM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 199
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 199
I remember the 61 was an easy move for me,I took some gas,wd40,brake fluid and went to the guys house and took the plugs out sprayed a little wd40 in each cylinder,disconnected the rear brake line from the tee and capped them off,bleed the front brakes added some new brake fluid,bleed the clutch cylinder added more brake fluid.Gapped the plugs and replaced them poured a little gas in the carb and cranked her over a few times waited about 15 minutes and cranked her over a few more times and BAM she started.I loaded her on the old Lowboy behind my Dodge one ton and brought her home (about 75 miles).I was at the guys house about 45 minutes max and the truck had sit for several years without being started but it was driven to where it was parked.

The 60 was a different story,it was in pieces when I went to get it(about 300 miles)all sorts of problems starting with the gentleman was'nt home when I got there,I dont beleave he could tell time,I waited on him for 4 hours and was about to leave when he showed up "drunker than a skunk".Loooooong story short I loaded her on the Lowboy behind the 61 and came home.He did throw in a real nice extra 235 engine and insisted on following me out of the holler so I would'nt get lost.He was a nice guy.

My 61 c60 was a running truck so I just drove it home with no problem.
Hobert


"The Lord is my shepherd"
#198423 01/17/2006 4:05 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
Grandpa and I drove mine home from the farm.

Well, Grandpa did. He hadn't driven the old girl (or any 'bolt, for that matter) in a long time and I figured that I'd let him drive it again for old time's sake.


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
#198424 01/17/2006 4:16 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 47
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 47
I bought an old trailer about 5 years ago and have used it to haul several projects. I went about 450 miles to pick up my last project, a 64 chevy stepside. Paid almost as much for fuel as I gave for the truck.
James


Heres to us and those like us, theres darn few left.
#198425 01/17/2006 4:49 AM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
B
Camp Commandant
Camp Commandant
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
All right this is my first attempt at adding a picture so bare with me. Either way go easy on me.... My bolt hauler


~ Billy
Old Dominion Stovebolt Society: Exotic Animal Division
1946 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine | In the Gallery | Video | More pictures
1959 GMC 860 | Pictures
1950 Chevrolet 3800 | Pictures
I've got a trailer and I'm not afraid to use it!
#198426 01/17/2006 4:51 AM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
B
Camp Commandant
Camp Commandant
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
second try web page


~ Billy
Old Dominion Stovebolt Society: Exotic Animal Division
1946 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine | In the Gallery | Video | More pictures
1959 GMC 860 | Pictures
1950 Chevrolet 3800 | Pictures
I've got a trailer and I'm not afraid to use it!
#198427 01/17/2006 5:58 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
You guys with big goosenecks are making me jealous!

That is until I remember how tough it can be to get my little 18 foot trailer in and out of some of the places where I've found trucks hiding...

I pull my trailer with an '89 K3500 with a 454 and 165,000 miles of experience. I've pulled big loads behind little pickups and the bigger one sure inspires more confidence.

On one trip I paid more for gas than I did for the truck I brought home.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#198428 01/17/2006 6:37 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
I think gettin' it home is part of the fun.It's like a personal challenge. There's been a couple of times it crossed my mind to call in a tow truck,but I just can't get myself to pay somebody to haul something I can haul myself,and so far I haven't gotten anything I couldn't haul myself.
Speed


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck
#198429 01/17/2006 7:26 AM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 179
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 179
Used to just get em home any way that worked. Drove some. Towed some. Hired a rollback wrecker a couple times. Borrowed and rented trailers a couple times. Finally, I decided I better get a trailer of my own. Bought a tandem axle bumper, pull trailer and put a hand operated winch on it. It works pretty good up to a 3/4 ton truck. Down the road, I would like to get one that would handle a backhoe. I used to use a \'91 GMC dually with a 454 to tow, but it got to be too much to feed it. Last fall I traded it on a \'01 Dodge 2500 Turbo Diesel Tows as good or better with about 1/2 the fuel.


Joe McNeel

http://mcneelnet.com/~jmcneel/59.html
#198430 01/17/2006 7:35 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 688
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 688
drove my BABY home (ok it was only 6 blocks)

Cliff59


Deluxe \'52, Savoy \'54 Apache59
"She may not be the youngest girl at the ball, but she can still turn a head or two."
#198431 01/17/2006 10:24 PM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 140
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 140
The way we move our cars and trucks is with a 1979
Ford F-350 Car hauler.
About a year ago I got a 1949 Ford F-5 truck complete with no bed. We could not get nobody to move it so my dad hauled it own his car hauler even though I told him he could not


Now boltless but looking
1951 F-1 350/350
1965 Mustang 355 glide
1971 F-100 401 fe it hates me
1972 Maverick 302 c4
#198432 01/17/2006 11:12 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 15
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 15
Hey folks. Newbie here. I just had 2 '39 trucks, a pickup and a 1 1/2 ton flat bed, 2 modal A bodies and extra sheet metal hauled from MO to IN. I have no way to haul anything. I got prices from $1200 to $1000 to do it. Then found a feller who bcame a fast friend that did it for $411!! This guy is great!! I'll use'em everytime. Cheaper than a trailer and insurance here!

#198433 01/18/2006 6:02 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 268
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 268
"You guys with big goosenecks are making me jealous!"

I had a good reason for buying my Gooseneck Trailer, I figured it would be harder for people to want to barrow then a pull behind trailer.....

Also at the time I bought it, I had some extra money kicking around from all the overtime I had to work keeping buses on the road During the 2002 Winter Olympics.

I have used it to haul trucks & Tractors, Hey and all those V12s I got from Texas, as well as a load of junk from time to time. Even used it in a $4th of July Parade once as a float.

Just incase anyone really cared, I Posted Some More Photos of MY Truck & Trailer <~~~There.

#198434 01/18/2006 10:38 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 688
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 688
dang Jolly thats nice!

Cliff59


Deluxe \'52, Savoy \'54 Apache59
"She may not be the youngest girl at the ball, but she can still turn a head or two."
#198435 01/18/2006 4:23 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 346
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 346
I've been lucky and was able to borrow a truck and rent a trailer both times.

Truckin..

The run with the Chevy was about 200 miles each way while the run with the Freightliner was 1,000 each way. The Chevy handled well but the Freightliner didn't even know it had anything behind it!


'38 Chevy 1-1/2 ton
'49 Chevy 1/2 ton
'54 Chevy 6400 2 ton
'55.2 GMC 3/4 ton
'56 GMC 1-ton

No Room Left in Shop
#198436 01/19/2006 5:51 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
I agree with Speed, getting it home is what makes it an adventure. I like every bit of it, including the part of thinking through all the problems that could occur and being equipped and prepared to handle any obstacle that one might encounter.


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
#198437 01/19/2006 7:05 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 33
U
Member
Member
U Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 33
In '98 I bought a '82 C20 Chevy and a couple months later a 20' flatbed trailer. Since, I've hauled about 20 different cars/trucks. Some more than once. The 20' trailer was overkill for most of the vehicles, but it was barely enough to pull a '51 4400 w/dump bed from Nebraska to St.Louis. It rode fine but squatted rather low. That opossum on I-70 cleared the truck, but no way it cleared the trailer. Now I pull with my '66 C20. The 283 is no match for the 350 though.


Life is good. Keep on playing.
#198438 01/19/2006 8:15 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 146
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 146
well the first truck i got was free and only 3 blocks away. so a chain and a running truck and 5 min and it was done. now my ne old truck im getting is going to turn into a car carrier, the problem is getting it . its a 37 international duel axle. this should prove interesting. eek

#198439 01/19/2006 8:48 PM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 254
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 254
i'm a bit jealous the trailer i've used is borrowed and could really use a re-wire or new bulbs and a trailer brake system (not equiped with brakes) (but none of my trucks are setup for trailer brakes) so far all i've ever used is 1/2 tons 85 Chevy 1/2 2wd has the suspension for it but the 305 and 3.08 rear end make it interesting but a ton of scrap iron in the bed makes it sit 1 in. lower then level, 78 chevy suburban 1/2ton 4x4 has suspension and 4.11s and granny 4speed but the motor could use a tad more power but other then that it works really well and last one was 70 Chevy 1/2 even with 3.08s i could get up and moving fast via somewhat fresh 350 4bolt .030 overbore and other go fast parts but hauled a 68 IH 4x4 1/2ton and that really did a number on my frame cracked and bent it badly 1/2ton coil trucks don't make good tow vehicles and i used my 90 S10 2-dr blazer with a car dolly that wasn't as bad as i thought but kept it around 50-55 i would like to get a 3/4-ton or 1-ton and a gooseneck someday
Nate


Link to my photobucket for pics of my vehicles
http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff17/OldIronChevy/
#198440 01/19/2006 10:07 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
I've hauled a 1 1/2 ton home with a tow dolly. Mine can handle a new full size 1/2 ton (by the book). You want to be careful about corners though. A truck on a dolly can push your rear end around if you are not careful. The dolly comes in handy when you are alone and have good tires on the rear of the towed vehicle. You also need to be carefull of your state laws concerning towing a vehicle with the wheels on the ground. It may have to have current license. I also wouldn't tow too far with a dolly when dealing with an old vehicle.

#198441 01/19/2006 10:13 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
My brother and I just hauled a 1959 Chevy Fleetside home with a 18 ft trailer and towed it with a 2004 GMC extended cab 3/4 ton with the Duramax Deisel and Allison transmission. What a setup! That GMC never broke a sweat. The transmission breaking worked great in the tow mode. We pulled 70 to 75 mph all the way. That truck didn't even slow down 1 mph going up hills. It is one heck of a truck.

#198442 01/19/2006 10:15 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
From Colorado to Mass? I had her hauled.


Larry Bear

55.5 Chevy 3100 Panel
In the Stovebolt Gallery


#198443 01/20/2006 4:09 AM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 576
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 576
left franklin oh. with a 20ft. trailer in aborrowed chev g20 work van, two breakdowns and 900 miles later was in fletcher oaklahoma only to find my newly purchased 49 3100 wouldnt fit up on the trailer, with some creativity got it loaded as the snow started . drove 900 miles back with the storm front right over our truck. i'm still pulling seat fabric out of my butt cheeks. darn i love old trucks


1949 Chevrolet 3100

"When this thing hits 88 miles an hour, you're going to see some serious sh%t." -Doc Brown
#198444 01/20/2006 4:29 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
The only time I had "trouble" finding a way to get something home was when I bought my Bulldozer. I had a guy in town that hauls farm equipment with his 1 ton Dodge V-10 and a gooseneck dual wheel dual axle trailer. Even though he was lisenced to the max, we were still 5000 pounds over weight. We waited until early evening to haul it to help avoid the DOT, and he hauled it home with the promise that I would pay the fines if need be. I have a triple axle trailer but the truck I used to pull it with is now under construction. I have a ramprod truck project in the works but it's on the back burner so far I can't even see it yet. Depending on how far away it is, I've had them towed home too. I keep friends in all lines of work so I can trade favors with them.
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
#198445 07/01/2006 12:20 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 140
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 140
now we got an 18 foot car trailer to haul them on and it works really good. It is much easier to load them on the trailer than it was to load them on the car hauler


Now boltless but looking
1951 F-1 350/350
1965 Mustang 355 glide
1971 F-100 401 fe it hates me
1972 Maverick 302 c4
#198446 07/01/2006 3:04 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266
Me and dad drove the Green Machine home. It was about a 40 mile trip on the interstate. The only real problem we encountered was 2 weeks later when we learned that there wasn't a nut on the steering column holding the steering wheel on. It would have been interesting if the wheel had come off on the interstate instead of pulling into my driveway.

Drew

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0