The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (1955 1 Series, Otto Skorzeny, KEVINSKI, Lostbuthaulinass, Peggy M, tclederman, 2 invisible), 92 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,478
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#183801 06/15/2005 9:51 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 7
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 7
Does anyone have any experiance with any of these? openions
1.Truckman Parts
2 Brothers
3.Truck Shop
4.Chevy duty
Others?

#183802 06/15/2005 10:03 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
I like to haunt eBay and scrap yards for the original parts that I need.

Not because i'm a die hard purist, but because the original used parts can often be found WAY cheaper than the repro stuff.. if you have the time to look and collect.

All that i've heard of repro parts is that some vendors are more selective on some things than others.. Vender A may have the better bumper, but Vender B has the better mirror, for example.. so just because that $10 mirror you bought was nice, dosen't mean the door handles they sell will be of the same quality.

I hear lots of good things about American Classic and Chevy Duty.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
#183803 06/15/2005 10:09 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
Like Fumblin46 I check eBay on a regular basis and often bid on parts even if I don't need them at the time. I also check with several vendors to get best total pricing (be sure to figure in shipping).

I am currently rebuilding the brakes on my 53 3/4 ton. I bought parts from Chevy Duty, American Classic, and Jim Carter's. All have good service. Since I place most of the orders on the web, I can't comment on their telephone order staff.


Jeff Nelson

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
#183804 06/15/2005 11:35 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893

#183805 06/16/2005 12:57 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
A lot of the parts these vendors have are from the same aftermarket suppliers. Fumblin46 is right that the repro parts aren't exactly a correct fit (I've had trouble with door latches and strikers). I like to see it, feel it and touch it before I buy anymore.


cgresham1212
If you don't drive it, why have it?
55 1st Series 3100 5 window
#183806 06/16/2005 3:49 AM
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 586
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 586
Of the ones you list there, go with Chevy Duty. The other one I would recommend is Jim Carter. Some(I said some), of his parts are of higher quality. Cecil..........

#183807 06/16/2005 4:28 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
I've had the best luck with Chevy Duty. Especially with online orders. Most of the other vendors will ship the stuff they have in stock and backorder the rest. You don't know it till you get the order and half the stuff you need are weeks away. I would call and see if they stock the parts you want first. Alot of the parts from these vendors are MADE IN CHINA eek and don't fit right. Post a thread on a particular part you need and I'm sure someone will pipe up with a good source. Happy hunting

#183808 06/16/2005 4:51 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
I found a mint set of doors at the Monroe ,Wash. swapmeet for $25.00 and a complete rust free 1/2 ton box with running boards for $125.00 at the Coastal Meet in Cloverdale BC. My fave was the factory outside visor and dual spotlites at 2 boothes in Mt Vernon, Wash. for $20.00.I will probably buy repo tailgate and bumpers as they are only $105.00 and $115.00 each .I already scored good rear bumper brackets for $10.00. Swapmeets are a good source for parts, but some stuff simply can't beat brand new for price after replating or fixing.Just my 2 bits worth.

#183809 06/16/2005 4:56 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
I have used Truck shop and Chevy duty without any problems. Let us know what you are looking for and we can point you in the right direction.

By the way Welcome to the Bolt!


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
#183810 06/16/2005 6:15 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
I found a lot of good parts in the wrecking yards and try to go often. Ebay is a good source also. Although there are some parts that can’t be found. Chevy Duty has been great. LMC I would rate as OK although I have only bought a couple of items from them. I have heard only good things about Jim Carter.
Have Fun!
Steve

#183811 06/16/2005 6:40 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 170
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 170
I have purchased just about all of my parts over the internet thru sites like: Jim Carter, American Classic, Chevy's of the 40's, and The Filling Station. All have been great to work with. I do agree that you have to shop for each part because some sites don't have either the best price or the best quality part.
Since I'm big on originality I like when a site lets you know when "this is just like the original part". Jim Carter does a good job at that.
Another thing that is helpful is Pics of what you are buying. I don't like buying unless I can see some kind of Pic. Notice to all internet vendors!!!


Regards, Kevin
1940 1/2-ton (Uncle Willie\'s truck)

Thanks for the help so far fellow Bolters!
#183812 06/16/2005 7:05 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 5
G
Junior Member
Junior Member
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 5
I live near the truck man and the truckshop.
The truck man is small but but knowledgeble and willing to help, the truckshop's attitude is if you don't know exactly what you want they may give you the wrong part even if they know is the wrong one.
This I say from personal experience after spending about 4,000 on parts.

#183813 06/16/2005 1:26 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 355
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 355
We've used . . .
Chevy Duty (www.chevyduty.com)
Classic Industries (www.classicindustries.com)
Jim Carter (www.oldchevytrucks.com)
and
Truck Shop (truckandcarshop.com)

. . . all through their catalogs with good success. Chevy Duty has given us the best customer service when ordering over the phone. Good luck.


~ Kimberly
My '54 ... and my '63 and a '59 F100
#183814 06/16/2005 8:26 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 82
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 82
I have used Chevy Duty to good effect, and would recommend Jim Carter as well from their reputation. Every, and I mean every part, I bought from a certain California firm required modification to work or fit.
Stick with ebay for the odd stuff. You would be amazed what shows up there. Best place is the junkyard, if you can find one with trucks with that vintage.


Richard
58 3104
#183815 06/16/2005 8:31 PM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
I have used classic, Jim carter, LMC, Tom Langdon,and the previous owner had used Patricks and some of the one you mentioned,,I have had good luck with all of them,, and even my local NAPA has came in handy at times....dont you just love to spend money on them ,,,,,,,,just drive em,,,,Fred


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

#183816 06/17/2005 4:04 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
Don't forget about CarQuest. I've got quite a few parts through them. They even had rear axle seals in stock for my 48 1.5 ton.
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0