Spot, my experience was 180 degrees different. I presented my FARM year of manufacture and the window lady raised an eyebrow. I told her that it was legal to use DEALER year of manufacture without being a dealer. At this point, the head lady stepped over to the window, and told the other lady that it is OK to use farm plates for YOM.

The kicker is this:
Current year farm plates limit your truck to agricultural uses and (I believe) church and maintenance. You can't even drive your truck to work, assuming your "other" job isn't on a farm.

YOM plates limit your truck to "automotive interest" uses as well as maintenance. You can drive it in a parade (unlike farm plates) and you can drive it to car shows (unlike farm plates.)

Having YOM plates that are farm, and applying BOTH limitations is a contradiction.

I recommend you talk higher up, and plead that these are a form of antique plates, and that your truck will be under the antique restrictions.

Bill
(Parker County)