I have some additional information that I will share and then ask if anyone else had the same experience and can confirm that it's true, noting that different offices give differing info.....
I bought a nice pair of 1950 FARM truck license plates on Ebay for $175. Went to register the truck for the first time, showed them the YOM plates I wanted to use and after much discussion and several phone calls the lady informed me that I could NOT use the FARM plates. Only plates that were for Trucks were legal. I nearly threw up thinking about the money that I'd apparently wasted. I settled for Antique plates. They were the cheapest option at that point. No inspection required.
Anyone else in Texas have a similar experience?
Spot
Chuck 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original) 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod) 1941 Chevy coupe 1938 Chevy coupe streetrod