Good Morning Gentlemen,
I came across this topic and I am a relocated Texan but plan to return home once my career comes to an end and it concerns me because I have a invested interest in the matter. It seems that I do everything backwards from talking to thoughts to getting my plates done before the truck but I do try to do my homework if it evolves going to the court house, disputing a bill, and just maybe I might showing my lawyer that I know a little of what I am talking about. It concerned me enough to do some research and this is what I found.
6cylindersoverTexas, you are correct but I believe that having an antique vehicle is limited to parades, special events, Sunday drives.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/veh_type.htm#antique
“Antiques & Classic Registered Vehicles
Vehicles registered as "Antiques" are exempted from the annual inspection. To see the restrictions on the use of antiques or to obtain more information on how to register your vehicle as an "Antique", see the TxDOT website.
Vehicles registered as "Classic" are required to have the annual safety inspection. These types of vehicles are inspected like any passenger vehicle. Certain items of inspection, however, may or may not be required to be inspected, depending on the age of the car. (For example, seatbelts and anchorages are only required if the vehicle was originally manufactured with them.)”
http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/license_plates/qualifying/plate.htm?id=134&cat=antique
ArmyMike,
There are several sites that you can find a pair of Texas plates but there are stipulations and I am in the process of getting mine done. The year of the plate will have to be the year of the truck, the plate have to be free and not reported lost or stolen. It will have to be serviceable and inspected in person to be deemed usable on your vehicle. Once you have found the plates for your vic, there is a tech help with in this site to help refurbish your plate or you can send it to a specialist to put it together for you. Good luck on your plates.
I can go on but I’ll end with agreeing that it depends on where and who you helps you at the time of registration of your classic, antique, or reconstructed or rebuilt vehicles. I myself have tried to keep in contact with my hometown office and tried to keep the lines of communication open so that it will be easier to get assistance then to be another person to be dealt with.
Here are my pictures of my plates.
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae321/brdeight/1939%20Chevy%20Truck/Truck%20before/P1100429.jpg
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae321/brdeight/1939%20Chevy%20Truck/Truck%20before/P4110021.jpg
Other links that might be helpful.
http://ftp.txdmv.gov/pub/txdot-info/vtr/plate_history.pdf
http://ftp.txdmv.gov/pub/txdot-info/vtr/specialty_list.pdf

Bread
“The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -Albert Einstein-


1939 Chevrolet 1/2-Ton
"There and back -- repeat"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery