I have worked on steetsweepers in the past & they had controls on both sides from the manufacturer. On the Rt. side was the add-on st. wheel, it had about a 18" column & then a 90 deg. gearbox & came out with a shaft that went across the cab into a similar gearbox set into the Lt. column which then went down to the actual frame mounted truck box. This whole monkey-motion rig was assembled using ROLL-PINS thru holes drilled in the shafts.
This was on the big 5-ton FMC & Elgin built units. I remember well because I used to have to remove this mess to work in the dog-house area between the two seats.
Never, ever heard of a steering breakage. Everything else, including frames & spring hangers, but never a roll-pin. They had bus size st.wheels & took a gorilla to turn, but never broke. Doug