Hot Rod,proper welds don't break ,especially if you really consider the situation like I said previously.The steering column shaft on these old trucks is 3/4 inch low tech mild steel.Put a torque wrench on the steering wheel nut like I did and observe the reading when turning the wrench while parked,that would be my 37 Chevy pu with radial tires.The torque won't break a 3/8 common bolt.V groving the shaft joint,the weld overlapping onto the shaft,it wouldn't break if the load was 3 times what I measured.
Your reference to me endangering the lives of other motorists was the first smart [censored] remark.10 year olds have nothing to do with my welded steering shaft.Me arrogant? sometimes,I spent a lifetime in big construction,often working at heights that make guys puke,my life dependent on a single fastner welded in the wind on a rainy day by a iron worker who had a fight with his girlfriend the night before.This has nothing to do with steering shafts,but it makes me sound more important.
And with reference to "Scotty" from Startrek who just died......"Coptin,Coptin,she can't take much morrrre of this abuse,The Dylithium convertors are overheating,and the steerin shaft weld has broken.