52Carl, thanks I was not sure if the original rocker panel continued forward to overlap the inner cowl, clearly mine has rusted away in that area. The rocker seems pretty solid to the rear of the door pillar. KLHansen thanks for your insight regarding this effort.

I plan to finish removing the support channel to determine if it needs to be replaced or just cleaned up, and possibly enhanced (repaired) at the outer end. Regardless if reusing the original or replacing I am thinking I would install the support channel to the underside of the floor panel prior to installing the floor panel permenantly.

My current plan is to:
Finish removing, clean up and evaluate the support channel; clean up the floor & firewall cuts, spot welds, etc.
Set the floor panel in place to mark where the cuts in the original are, cut off excess material from floor panel (with overlap flange material remaining), form overlap flanges in floor panel, teporarily install support channel to frame, temporarily install floor panel with sheet metal screws, locate support channel to underside of floor panel and install with sheet metal screws
Fit inner cowl lower panel (this may require adjustment to the floor panel) and temporarily install with sheet metal screws
Fit inner to out cowl panel and temporarily install with sheet metal screws
Fit outer cowl panel and temporarily install with sheet metal screws.

Once all the temporary installations look okay I will remove everything and start putting it back together more premenantly.

One area I have not decided yet is how to address the forward end of the rocker panel. I suspect it basically connected to the back side of the inner to outer cowl panel. If that is the case I may be able to fabricate an extension that could be attached to the inner-outer panel and then secured to the existing rocker panel rear of the door pillar.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals