I am confirming that the diagram in the link for American Autowire is correct. That is the one I used.

In addition to the very original switch that came with the truck in 1953, I have purchased two more. One each from Chevs of the 40's and one each from The Filling Station. These two purchased switches were an attempt to solve the problem of failed lock cylinders. Three of the lock cylinders performed well for about one driving season. At the end of their life cycle, when turning the key to the right, the key no longer activates the switch. When the third lock cylinder failed, I installed the fourth lock cylinder in switch number three. The fourth lock cylinder is now activating switch number three just fine.

Soooo, I am back to my original problem. Why, after a period of usage, do my lock cylinders fail to activate the ignition switch? As a precaution, I have kept a spare lock cylinder on hand in case the installed cylinder fails while I am away from home and shop. This strategy has served me well in two different instances. However, it is not a long term solution.

Since Classic Parts of America was kind enough to include a new switch along with a new lock cylinder, I will install the new switch (switch #4) and see if the last failed lock cylinder (cylinder #3) will function in the new switch. I will post the results of my efforts hopefully by mid-week.

Thanks again, bartamos. Any follow-up comments--either by you or anyone else--would be greatly appreciated.


Tom B
1953 Chevy 3/4 ton 3600
1964 292 cu. in. in-line six