During my University of Florida day's I worked for one of the oldest hardware stores in Florida. Pappy Rice was the owner as was his grandfathers prior. That old man taught me so much regarding locks and safes. GM was always the odd ball out with their wafer system, a good GM lock is only a little more difficult to open than other auto manufacturer's. I have not even looked closely at the new GM locks. Sorry folks but with our taxpayer dollars bailing them out I believe they should give every taxpayer one of their pieces of their modern junk. I know many will be offended but, hay that's what the First Amendment is for. Off my soap box now. Starting in 1954 GM trucks had a key way that allowed the operator to take the key out in the on position. The primary reason is what they believed to be a safety factor by having one door lock and it was on the passenger side. They correctly believed due to suburban growth that operators would get hit by on coming traffic trying to unlock and lock the drivers side door. I know most of us realize this. The GM wafer system tumblers were very well built brass, the new Chinese wafers are very soft brass that do not align with the lock of the outer casing. Therefore when the tumbler appears to be in the off position the wafers don't go into the slots and one has a constant hot connection. I believe I can get a few boxes of wafers and I will try. I have the knowledge to re-build the tumblers. See what I can do. About my rant and GM, I tell everyone I can about the selective good products GM produces, which overtime is few. I'm cranky today and just double posted, forgive me please. Doc.

Last edited by Doc.Hall; 07/24/2020 2:03 PM. Reason: double post

Currently making 1954 3100 better than new and Genetics