Thanks for the replies. I've corrected my signature block so folks know some basic info about my truck. Looks like I need to clarify my problem . Wrenchbender Ret. seems to understand best. I am using the original switch assembly. The only thing I am having trouble with, it seems to me, is the cylinder that fits into the switch assembly. When I replace the lock cylinder with a new one, the problem goes away for about one year or driving season. When I did the frame-off rebuild, I rewired the entire vehicle with an American Autowire package and it works beautifully. So, I think my problem lies in finding a new source for a replacement cylinder or finding information about anyone's success using a locksmith to repair the "worn out" cylinder.
My lock cylinder supplier said the best way to make sure I get a good "new" cylinder and key is to make sure the key has very prominent teeth on it. "They seem to last longer", he said!