Lots of custom sort of trucks use fillers in the floor of the bed, that's not for me.
What happens when you actually use the truck, have stuff in the bed and run low on fuel? Some time or another it's going to be a hassle.
Were it my truck and decision I'd be OK with an original tank that fits and functions as intended and just use it. It will look proper because it was proper for one year of the AD trucks. Any other solution for the filler is more head scratching, time, effort and likely more money for what real gain?
If this were not about an original tank then sure you'd have to do something and figure out a suitable functional solution. In this case that solution can be a factory solution, already solved for you.
There are countless ways to build a truck and solve most any problem, you should suit yourself, your truck.
My 48 I intended to be simple and practical and it will to some extent. However I wanted and implemented a lot of improvements which all take time and effort, and the truck is still not done, turned out not as simple as I imagined. That ongoing experience has given me a better perspective on my current 1 ton project truck, keep it simple, dead simple, and keep it practical. That's my take on things lately for what it's worth. ~2¢
Grigg