I think the size varies between pickup with pickup bed, other trucks without pickup bed (mounted outside frame) and buses, larger and still outside frame.

You could do some more research in the literature and parts books to find out all the differences and where used.. However I think at this point safe to say you can fit a between the frame fuel tank from an earlier model AD pickup under your later AD pickup.
Keep the tank in the cab and with two tanks you get twice the range. I would like to do this on my 51, keep the original and add another tank.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-