| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,125 Posts1,056,338 Members48,440 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 | All important considerations depending on how you use the truck and what you want and need.
I don't consider 3.73 low for a first gear and 2.95 sounds to fast, both faster than I'd want as first for my 1 ton truck. 2.95 just sounds real fast, I'd have to do some research and head scratching to see what truck I've driven that has a gear like that and then imagine using it as the first gear. I actually like the first gear on the 4 speed at 7.05 it is useful for tricky situations and getting a load started, or just taking off from a stoplight on a hill without roasting the clutch or being in a rush. Second gear is 3.6 and quite useable, anything faster as a first gear could be to fast depending on your use, especially if you can already find a need for and like the 7.05 first gear.
Grigg My 1965 C10 1/2T came from the factory with a 2.95 first gear and a 3.73 rear diff. It had a 3 speed column shift MT. I think a 12:1 combined ratio (2.95 X 4.10) for 1st gear should easily get a 1 ton moving without slipping the clutch. Under heavy load, I'm not so sure. Perhaps the S10 T5s with either a 4.0 or 3.75 first gear would be OK. I guess it depends on the driving conditions.
For me, the biggest issue is that I'm not so sure the S10 T5 is strong enough for the task.
Last edited by Lugnutz; 12/18/2015 12:51 PM.
| | |
| |
| |