| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (Nick in Manitou, Gray_Ghost, Shade Baby, J Lucas, TUTS 59, Bill Hanlon, papas52, 2 invisible),
120
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,119 Posts1,056,313 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 | Someone mentioned 0.63 OD ratio as a good idea. I don't think it is a good idea for a truck with limited HP. Grigg I made the comment that the 0.63 OD would be a good match with a 4.10 rear diff. I cannot be dogmatic about my opinion because I have never driven with a 0.63 OD gear and a 4.10 diff. I just looked at the math.
As I understand gearing, the engine doesn't "see" individual gears. It just "sees" the final math of the combination. The overdrive gear of 0.63 X the 4.10 diff = 2.58. Another way of achieving the same final drive would be to have a 2.58 diff with a 1:1 4th gear. The engine doesn't know the difference between the two examples.
My truck is a 1/2 ton, so it's lighter than a 1 ton, but I do have personal experience with it. My 0.73 OD gear X the 3.73 rear diff = 2.68 and I love the power I have in 5th gear. I can let the RPMs drift down to 1600 and climb right back to 2100 without bogging the engine.
So I do think a 2.58 final drive would perform much like my 2.68 final drive. I will say that the 0.63 gear is a HUGE drop from the 1:1 ratio 4th gear. If the truck would see a lot of hills, then it would be nice to have a gear between the 1:1 and the 0.63.
The 0.73 OD gear would also be very nice and are found in some S10 models and most V6 Camaro T5s. The only catch is that those same S10 and V6 Camaro T5s have a 3.75 1st gear. That would put the 1st gear math at 15.375 which would make 1st gear very low. The world class V8 Camaro T5 has a 2.95 1st gear and brings the 1st gear math number down to 12.095 which seems OK for a 1 ton first gear. HOWEVER, the V8 Camaro WC T5 is always 0.63 overdrive - and that is the very reason I suggested the 0.63 OD gear with a 4.10 diff.
The V8 Camaro NWC T5 has a 0.73 OD gear but is very hard to find. | | |
| |
| |