The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ponchogl, WICruiser, 50Chevy3100, BC59, 1 invisible), 125 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,345
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 112
B
b10
Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 112
Do to a up coming medical operation that will put me down for 3 or 4 months maybe longer,i need to put betsy away for the winter.What would any of you guys do ,Drain it or Stabil it. FEED BACK PLEASE.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I use Stabil every year during the 2-3 months of winter down time & have never had an issue with gas going bad.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
I also have never had an issue using stabil. 2-3 months is not that long of time.


David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 112
B
b10
Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 112
STABIL IT IS,did not need the extra work in the spring. THANKS

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
That's what I do also.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
And best wished for your 'other' project (medical).. Hope things trun out great!@


David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
I keep Stabil in the tank the whole time we are restoring. Never had an issue with carbs sitting way longer than 3 to 4 months. Good luck with the operation.


My Fleet:
1941
1953
1959
1965
1966
1953 Willy's Pickup

John

Vegetarian- old Indian word for bad hunter
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by b10
STABIL IT IS,did not need the extra work in the spring. THANKS
One additional thought. After dumping in the Stabil run the engine for a few minutes to get it in the lines, fuel pump and carburetor.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 211
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 211
Originally Posted by Tiny
Originally Posted by b10
STABIL IT IS,did not need the extra work in the spring. THANKS
One additional thought. After dumping in the Stabil run the engine for a few minutes to get it in the lines, fuel pump and carburetor.
Also keep your fuel tank full to the top to prevent condensation, And crack the cap so she'll breath/vent.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893

My pops has put Stabil in all his fuel for his small engines(lawn mowers, weed eater, etc..) for years and years.

That way when he put 'em up or doesn't use 'em every week, they don't gum up with this 'modern gasoline'.

Good stuff.

-W

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
Use Stabil on stored units up to 6 mos+

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
some two stroke oil works wonders...my dad used to only use mixed gas in the lawn equipment to simplify things, and it seemed to completely eliminate rusted through gas tanks.

Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 51
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 51
My truck had been parked in a barn by the previous owner for many years. When I got it home, I did the MMO thing (down all 6 cylinders) turned it over by hand with the old plugs out, put the plugs back in, cleaned the points, poured some fresh gas down the carb, and she fired right up, and ran off the old gas!! It had been treated with Stabil, and I was mighty impressed!!

Love that old 6!! :)

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
Originally Posted by brokenhead
some two stroke oil works wonders...my dad used to only use mixed gas in the lawn equipment to simplify things, and it seemed to completely eliminate rusted through gas tanks.

Two stroke oil is not a stabilaizer and will knock down the octaine rating very quickly leading to engine knock.


My Fleet:
1941
1953
1959
1965
1966
1953 Willy's Pickup

John

Vegetarian- old Indian word for bad hunter
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
No one said it was a fuel stabilizer, if you read what I wrote and what you quoted, it says "seemed to completely eliminate rusted through gas tanks" I hardly think it would have any effect in an engine that at the height of its development achieved what, 7.5-1 compression? And it would only be in the one tank that has set through the winter, I never said to use it on a steady basis. I also never said to NOT use stabil, I use both if it will be sitting for a long period.

Last edited by brokenhead; 07/02/2013 9:37 PM.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
Originally Posted by b10
Do to a up coming medical operation that will put me down for 3 or 4 months maybe longer,i need to put betsy away for the winter.What would any of you guys do ,Drain it or Stabil it. FEED BACK PLEASE.

The thread is about adding stabilizers or not.

2 stroke oil is not hydroscopic so will not absorb any water in the fuel tank - which causes rust. The best advise to prevent tank rust as has been mentioned already is to keep the tank full so the air doesn't condensate and form water droplets that sink to the bottom of the tank and cause rust.


My Fleet:
1941
1953
1959
1965
1966
1953 Willy's Pickup

John

Vegetarian- old Indian word for bad hunter
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
sorry I mentioned it.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I know what you meant brokenhead smile I'm all the time putting "mixed" gas in what ever needs it.....my lawn mower, my tiller, my 37pickup if I need it to get to the gas station.
I understood what you meant.....and yes, I like stabil to. I've used it for many years.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0