Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,231 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 144 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 144 | As part of the restoration I'm considering replacing front drums to discs. I don't want the look of a power booster on the firewall. LMC has a non-power conversion kit that uses the original pedal and mounting location. One person's opinion was that if you don't go to power you shouldn't swap to discs, andt that the discs actually takes more foot pressure than drums.
Thoughts?
Dave www.fallenherosdreamride.orgall give some MY SON GAVE ALL The fallen hero's dream ride is a 1951 Chevrolet 3100 with original 216 In memory of LCpl Phillip Vinnedge USMC KIA 10/13/2010 Afghanistan
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 | There are power units that mount where the originals are.Under the floor.I set my 55 up this way and it works out just fine. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 | #2 It all depends on how you are gonna use your truck.If it is only gonna be a part time driver the old drums will work just fine.It is pretty much up to you and what you want to accomplish with your truck.The reason I converted was because I installed an M2 frontend complete with disc brakes. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | I have a dual master cylinder set up with power under the floor. the reason is safety with a split system and then better braking.
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 144 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 144 | Thanks. I didn't realize there are power boosters that mount under the floor. I'll look for one. Does the brake pedal/linkage need modified?
Dave www.fallenherosdreamride.orgall give some MY SON GAVE ALL The fallen hero's dream ride is a 1951 Chevrolet 3100 with original 216 In memory of LCpl Phillip Vinnedge USMC KIA 10/13/2010 Afghanistan
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 452 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 452 | Check the specs carefully, and call the manufacturer's support line when you get close to a decision. Some of the under-floor boosters will not fit with a manual trans. Not sure if it's the clutch linkage or the trans itself that is the problem.
Current fleet (subject to change w/o notice) \'49 GMC 3/4-Ton , 60 Austin Healey Frog-eye Sprite (some assembly required), 2011 Dodge Avenger, 2015 Jeep Cherokee. No, they don't all run. My other ride is a (B737)no, (B767)no, A320.... Update... was Embraer E190, now Boeing B787. Knowledge is a wonderful thing, but ignorance means you don't know you can't do something.
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | You also need to tell us what truck you are working on. If it is an AD/ND the one Performance Online sells will work with a manual transmission. The one CPP sells has a larger booster. It may be the one people have had trouble fitting. If your truck is older than an AD, I don't know about them. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | He did cletis. In the welcome center where you and I replied he said a 51 pickup.....a link also provides picture.
You may also want to consider the 7" booster/MC set up from PirateJack.net (Asheville,N.C.) I think it will work either way and its also not as "costly" as other vendors. I tried them and like it. Comes with all the brackets ect. You may just want to make sure it'll not interfere with the rear cross member as well as the tranny. Nice folks to deal with.
Good luck. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | Oh, I forgot. I'm supposed to memorize who has what truck. It ought to be easy. There are only 20,000 or so of us. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 33 Geezer | | Geezer Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 33 | I am getting ready to buy a Disc Brake kit also for my 57 & have looked at a bunch of them on the net...
My big question is: Are any of them made in the USA or are they all Hecho en china...
I will look up the recommendation in the previous post..
Thanks,
TC
1966 C20 LWB, 327 4 Bbl., 4 Speed
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 | I'm sure the calliper brackets are made here in the USA. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 17 | I've been researching this one for a while myself. I've heard lots of good things about Pirate Jacks I've also seen someone mention Carolina Classics.
In terms of one of FallenHeros original questions, if you go to disc do you need power?
1948 3100
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 1,424 ODSS President | | ODSS President Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 1,424 | As part of the restoration I'm considering replacing front drums to discs. I don't want the look of a power booster on the firewall. LMC has a non-power conversion kit that uses the original pedal and mounting location. One person's opinion was that if you don't go to power you shouldn't swap to discs, andt that the discs actually takes more foot pressure than drums.
Thoughts? IMHO, you don't need disc brakes. You have Bendix and they are more than adequate for your needs. I have a daily driver only vehicle '49 with Huck type brakes, have eclipsed 55 k miles with panic stops, 2000 mile trips. The dual master is a nice upgrade for peace of mind but according to your website you are doing a restoration, discs are a modification you do not need. With no modification to your drivetrain you will not drive this vehicle much, maybe 1k miles per year tops, never have her out on the Interstate.
~ Cosmo 1949 Chevy Half Ton Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities. "...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes "If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra "Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,216 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,216 | I use non power disk brakes on the '37. Yes it takes a little effort to stop, but once you drive a while you get used to it. GM sold '70 Chevelle's and Corvette's with manual disk. I used a Chevelle master cylinder on my drag race car with manual disk and it stopped just fine from 122 mph time after time.
With the right lever ratio and master cylinder bore diameter, you can minimize the effort.
Joe | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 | Since you are asking for opinions. I would recommend converting to disc brakes and using an under the floor booster/MC. There are nunerous aftermarket suppliers selling kits. Some use the original hubs and retain the 6 lug pattern but you can't use your original wheels. Others use 70's Camaro/Chevelle rotors & calipers but are 5 lug. So you will still need new wheels and figure out what to do with the 6 lug rear end. Do as much research as you can and look at some conversions. They are not all created equal. Fred
1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes 1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes 2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans 1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | My kit came from, www.brotherstrucks.com. and worked with no modifications. i looked and the kit is cheaper than it was 4 years ago.
Last edited by WE b OLD; 01/16/2011 11:25 PM.
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | I'm using the power disc setup from Performance Online on my '54 burb and I love it. I highly recommend it. I'm using stock 16" wheels. I had to grind a little off the caliper housing. Installation pics | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | (edited)
Last edited by cletis; 01/24/2011 4:20 AM. Reason: removed off topic content
| | |
| |