1949 GMC 3/4-Ton Pick-up Truck
From Peter :
This is a Gallery update for my 1949 3/4-ton Advance Design GMC. I just re-did the bedwood from scratch, and changed a bent pushrod. The old wood was only half there and covered with a sheet of plywood. The mounting blocks were also shot. I ordered the blocks and pads from Scott's in Penhold, AB. I later ordered the strips from there as well.
The wood was a different story. Being cheap, I decided to try to make my own. I bought some inexpensive edge-glued pine shelving and cut it to shape. I found the wood dimensions through The Stovebolt Page. I have a circular saw that mounts to a table, so it's almost a table saw. It's not perfect, but the bed design allows for some errors.
I sanded it all smooth, stained it and put two coats of exterior verathane on it. I plan to put another coat on the bed now that it is all together.
I made two changes to the normal design ... I bolted the cross-sills to the frame and made relief spots in the bottom of the boards. I drilled and tapped holes in a strip of flat-bar welded to the top of the bed sill to secure the ends of the strips. I slotted the heads of carriage bolts and ground off the shoulders to use as cap screws so they match the rest of the hardware.
01 October 2007
From Peter :
Hi everyone! I am finally sending in a picture of my 1949 GMC 3/4-ton pick-up truck for the Gallery. I have always liked the old trucks. Several years ago, I purchased a 1954 1/2-ton. It was a basket case!
The '54 has a bit of a tale. I found it through my wife's friend. She inherited it from the family farm, which is where it was when I first saw it ... IRWIPI ... or not.
I borrowed a 1999 F<>d 3/4-ton crew cab and flat deck from the local welding shop near where I lived at the time, and went to get it. Flat tires, seized engine, body damage ... a true find! I brought it home and wondered what I had done... I did a little work, removing stuck pistons and such, but didn't get much done while we lived in Sperling, Manitoba.
We soon moved to Calgary, Alberta. I had the truck shipped by the moving company to our new house, where it soon occupied half of the three-car garage. As I disassembled it more, I realized the '54 had way more time than I did. So the decision was made to sell what could be sold, and buy a more complete vehicle.
I advertised the truck and was happy to cut a deal with the gentleman who came to look at it. I believe it went to a better home and a more active life. The truck was just too much for me and the new owners are a father and son who planned to hot-rod it.
I found this truck (the 1949) in the classifieds in Calgary when I was looking for a more friendly project than the 1954. I bought it from an aircraft mechanic who was moving overseas. I was able to drive it home on a temporary plate, but it needed some work to pass the Alberta safety. So I've been plugging away at those items since.
This truck is in much better shape and has more drivability. It is basically in original condition. It has a 216 ci engine with a 4-speed transmission. I’ve added seatbelts, redone the front end and brakes (Huck style) and added mirrors off of a Volvo 240. I still need to do some rewiring of the electrical system and some driveshaft work. Then I will be able to get it registered.
Eventually I have plans to swap out the 4-speed for a T-5 transmission. Another plan is a dual circuit brake system.
I hope to have it insured and at the local drive-in before the snow flies, but the best-laid plans....
Thanks for the interest and the work on the Stovebolt. I know I find it indispensable in my efforts to get Big Blue back out on the road.
Very cool truck! Glad you sent in the pics and keep us posted on any progress! - Gallery Gal