The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (Nick in Manitou, Gray_Ghost, Shade Baby, J Lucas, TUTS 59, Bill Hanlon, papas52, 2 invisible), 120 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,313
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#601291 12/15/2009 12:55 AM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 159
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 159
I think this is the right forum I made some gas tanks yes that is tanks as in 2, for my 38 GMC. They are going under the cab/bed between the frame. They are simple boxes 36"x12"x9" 16 gauge cold rolled steel with 2 baffles I welded them with a wire feed welder did an ok job but I do have a few pin holes plus it was suggested to me to use a gas tank sealer even if I didn't have any holes, so here is the question where do I get a good gas tank sealer would a parts house carry any.

One more question are the GMC gas gauge sending units the same as the Chevy ones in size I am assuming they are because Almost everything else is interchangable


1938 Gmc 1/2 ton
TheShoer #601293 12/15/2009 12:58 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I've used a white milky looking gas tank sealer from Eastwood to seal leaky floats and float bowls, works well for me.

Also check out POR15, think I remember reading something about a system they sell?

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Grigg #601319 12/15/2009 3:05 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I just used Red-Kote in my tank last week. Available locally at parts stores.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Cletis #601339 12/15/2009 3:49 AM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
... .and I have used the POR15 kit with complete sucess going on 10 years.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
POR 15 has a good one check it out online. Use code hmn1209 and save 10% before the first of the year.


1951 restoration on website
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.hanklong.com
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I wouldn't put any thing like that in a new tank. If it starts coming loose the thing is ruined. Couldn't you pressure test it & go over any leaks.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 242
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 242
Year ago I had a BAD experience with the EASTWOOD product. It started to peel off and and plugged up the pick up tube in the tank. I thought I had followed the directions in the kit, but I will NEVER use that product again.
It may have been a reaction to the ETHONAL fuel, I do not know. I ended using an NOS tank I found.

John Gott


1942 G5106 1.5-ton Chevy cargo dump Gallery page




Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
T/Sgt. Gott (28 years of service with the USPP)
1940 Chevy G506 4112 cargo dump
1942 Diamond T G509 969A 4 ton wrecker
1942 Ward LaFrance G116 series 2 10 ton wrecker
1944 Ward LaFrance G116 series 5 10 ton wrecker
1931 Ford AA with a WEAVER crane
1944 Sterling HC 165 tractor
1944 Autocar U7144T w/ 10 ton trailer
J Gott #607100 01/04/2010 6:18 PM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,132
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,132
In my humble opinion you should never put anything in a gas tank except gas. I have had a number of bad experiences with different sealers coming loose in tanks and clogging the fuel system. One of these experiences was with a homebuilt airplane where the builder sloshed the inside of the tank with sealer and it came loose and caused an engine failure resulting in a forced landing. (No one hurt). I suggest welding up the pinholes and forget the sealer. Just my 2 cents worth.

Weeds

Weeds #607130 01/04/2010 8:43 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
Thanks for this discussion.

I plan to get the saddle tank from the 48 3100 boiled out at a radiator shop.

Weeds - you would not have this sealed?


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0