The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (BC59, klhansen, mick53, 1955 1 Series), 102 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,277
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#237151 07/13/2007 3:08 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
Anybody run a 245/75/16 on their Deco or AD?

I'm switching from the old 15" split rim to an '80s 8-lug 16" w/4" backspacing for my '46 3600. I was going to buy some new 215/85/16 for it but then my brother offered me a set of bfgoodrich Long trails in the size questioned. Running them in the rear wouldn't be a problem but the front could be. I set the new rim on the front and I have about and 1" of clearence on the tie rods and they sit below the rim edge. I'm thinking the only issue could be fender rubbing.

Tell me what size and brand you're running!


1941 G506
More

1946 3800
Pic
More

1946 3600
Pic
More

1924 Ford Model T Fordor
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
My comments won't help but I'm running 650-16 on my 49 half ton. The 215/85/R16 are good radial replacements for that tire. However the rims are too narrow for some tire dealers to want to put them on my truck.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 56
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 56
I run 7:50x18 on my 1953 3600


Here is a link to some stuff about my brothers and I
http://bus-plunge.blogspot.com/search?q=hemmings
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
They are going to be harder to steer unless you have added power steering.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I like 8R19.5 tires on a 3/4, or especially a 1 ton AD.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
4OTF--Good point about the steering. Hadn't thought about that.


1941 G506
More

1946 3800
Pic
More

1946 3600
Pic
More

1924 Ford Model T Fordor
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 51
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 51
Hi,

I have some 235/60R16 front and 255/60R16 back on my 55 1st serie Chevy Truck half ton. Would be space for more but I think it's wide enough

Bernd

http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc04389ib8.jpg

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 51
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 51
Oh by the way, I did some work to give the tie rods more space. Don't think it would rub on the fender with the 245 though.

Bernd

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
I'll be running 255/70R16s in the back of my 1940 GMC, and 235/70R16s in the front. I will be using 6 lug artillery wheels that have been widened to 7 inches with 4 inches of backspacing. My custom rear axle is 61 inches wheel mount to wheel mount (2 inches wider than stock), and all the math says it will just fit under those rear fenders. I don't know yet because I haven't got my rims back yet, and I don't have the stepside bed on my truck right now.

Good Luck!
John

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
Should'nt need power steering. My trucks run 8.25 X 20's and they steer O.K., even with 8 tons on them,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I don't see where there would be a problem with the size overall, but there might be 2 issues. I'm under the impression you're running a wider rim, say about 7"? That would ok for the 245. Now here's the real problem, the Long Trails are too low of a load rating for that truck. If i recall correctly, that size only comes in a P rating, about the same as 4 ply in a bias. You're going to need at least a D rating, about 8 ply. I bet those tires came off of a Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon, right? That's an oe tire on them.
BTW-I'm running a 30x9.50x15 on mine, roughly the same width and diameter as a 245/75/16. No rubbing problems at all.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 84
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 84
I use a 7.50-16 on my 3/4 ton

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
Longbox55...you're right! The tires are off of a 2002 Chevy 1500 4x4.

Being the cheap guy, I'm using those used ones first till I can squander enough cash for some more original looking Power Kings or maybe some BFGoodrich Commercial TA Tractions.

The rims I have are 6-1/2" with the 4" backspace.


1941 G506
More

1946 3800
Pic
More

1946 3600
Pic
More

1924 Ford Model T Fordor
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
I'm running 8R19.5's all the way around, on my '50 GMC 1 ton pickup.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
I am hoping to get some old style bias plies 6.50 x 16's. Or I'll try 225/85 x 16


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0