Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,279 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 | Anybody run a 245/75/16 on their Deco or AD?
I'm switching from the old 15" split rim to an '80s 8-lug 16" w/4" backspacing for my '46 3600. I was going to buy some new 215/85/16 for it but then my brother offered me a set of bfgoodrich Long trails in the size questioned. Running them in the rear wouldn't be a problem but the front could be. I set the new rim on the front and I have about and 1" of clearence on the tie rods and they sit below the rim edge. I'm thinking the only issue could be fender rubbing.
Tell me what size and brand you're running! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | My comments won't help but I'm running 650-16 on my 49 half ton. The 215/85/R16 are good radial replacements for that tire. However the rims are too narrow for some tire dealers to want to put them on my truck. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 56 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 56 | I run 7:50x18 on my 1953 3600 | | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | They are going to be harder to steer unless you have added power steering.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | I like 8R19.5 tires on a 3/4, or especially a 1 ton AD.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 | 4OTF--Good point about the steering. Hadn't thought about that. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 51 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 51 | Hi, I have some 235/60R16 front and 255/60R16 back on my 55 1st serie Chevy Truck half ton. Would be space for more but I think it's wide enough Bernd http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc04389ib8.jpg | | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 51 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 51 | Oh by the way, I did some work to give the tie rods more space. Don't think it would rub on the fender with the 245 though.
Bernd | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 | I'll be running 255/70R16s in the back of my 1940 GMC, and 235/70R16s in the front. I will be using 6 lug artillery wheels that have been widened to 7 inches with 4 inches of backspacing. My custom rear axle is 61 inches wheel mount to wheel mount (2 inches wider than stock), and all the math says it will just fit under those rear fenders. I don't know yet because I haven't got my rims back yet, and I don't have the stepside bed on my truck right now.
Good Luck! John | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | Should'nt need power steering. My trucks run 8.25 X 20's and they steer O.K., even with 8 tons on them, Scott | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | I don't see where there would be a problem with the size overall, but there might be 2 issues. I'm under the impression you're running a wider rim, say about 7"? That would ok for the 245. Now here's the real problem, the Long Trails are too low of a load rating for that truck. If i recall correctly, that size only comes in a P rating, about the same as 4 ply in a bias. You're going to need at least a D rating, about 8 ply. I bet those tires came off of a Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon, right? That's an oe tire on them. BTW-I'm running a 30x9.50x15 on mine, roughly the same width and diameter as a 245/75/16. No rubbing problems at all.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 84 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 84 | I use a 7.50-16 on my 3/4 ton | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 | Longbox55...you're right! The tires are off of a 2002 Chevy 1500 4x4.
Being the cheap guy, I'm using those used ones first till I can squander enough cash for some more original looking Power Kings or maybe some BFGoodrich Commercial TA Tractions.
The rims I have are 6-1/2" with the 4" backspace. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | I'm running 8R19.5's all the way around, on my '50 GMC 1 ton pickup. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 | I am hoping to get some old style bias plies 6.50 x 16's. Or I'll try 225/85 x 16 | | |
| |