The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (MaxStewart, MikeE, ShopRag, 59 fleet, DougH6100, Hotrod Lincoln), 141 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,661
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#220845 12/02/2006 2:53 AM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
a guy came up to me while i was putting gas in my 50 the other day and complimented me on how nice it looked considering it's original.

he then told me about a 1 ton he had acquired years ago that was just sitting on his acerage and wondered if i would be interested in it, for free! having 2 italian motorcycles in need of restoration/repair and a recently purchased 64 land cruiser, another project was not what i was looking for. however a neighbor of mine has a 1 ton 1953 that he's been working on and could definitely use some donor parts that this new free one has.

question is, should i cannibalize this truck for original parts that i could use on my truck and give the rest of the body parts to my neighbor, or should this truck be preserved?

i have not seen it in person but the guy sent me pictures and it looks fairly complete with the usual body dents and dings. it's been an arizona truck so there looks to be little to no rust.

any thoughts???

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
If it has the nine foot bed it is somewhat unusual and I'd want to preserve it. If its a flatbed I'd be more likely to part it out.

If its a dually I want the wheels.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
if it can get two trucks running it's not going to waste

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 355
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 355
I'd keep it and fix it, hard to find a truck with the long box.


Jeff
1947 Chevy 6400 2-ton
In the Gallery
1953 3/4-ton
In the Gallery
It was fun while it lasted
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
I'd grab it, & restore it. I purchased a '50 GMC 1 Ton 9 foot box pickup, last month. Great trucks. Best of both Worlds. Big Bolt, & lil' Bolt, all wrapped in one.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
That truck is quite saveable. See what it would take to make it drivable and sell it to fund your other projects, or sell it to your neighbor as is. I don't think I could part it out,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
my wife is going to kill me... smile

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
looks a lot better than some than what a couple of my projects did when I started.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
Wish I could stumble accross a truck like that.
I love those one ton pickups. That truck definitely deserves to see the road again!


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
Yes, it does. These trucks like the road, and LOVE to pack a load.


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I'd keep it. In fact I'd be happy to drop by with a trailer. When should I come?


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
What if I get there first? I suppose I could even offer you something for the privilege of having it sit on my trailer, pointed east of course. wink

I wish I had a good 1 ton, mine is a good parts truck at best. I would love to find a good deal on some nice sheet metal.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Grigg, Lexington is about 600 miles further from Tempe than Seattle is. I'm heading south first thing in the morning.

Only way you can beat me is to leave now if you haven't already!

Except I have to stop in Portland and visit my mother-in-law till Sunday. I guess you will get there first...


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 275
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 275
I would'nt part it out. It's to complete to rip apart. I'd probably look around at junk yard for parts there's usually lots of trucks that are half ripped apart and great for parts.


38 original
48 panel
59 stepside
46 in the back forty
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 200
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 200
Thats a nice truck...Get er runnin and put her back in traffic man-dont cut her up...

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
After seeing the pictures it,s not bad. Does your wife want her own stovebolt for christmas?

Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 191
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 191
I'd definately fix it, if I had that thing I'd not even worry about working on my old rustbucket. I wish I could find that solid of a truck around here.

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
You could probably flip that truck for a fast grand on eBay.

The 1 ton trucks with factory beds and fenders are scarce as hens teeth. If the rear fenders are mostly straight and rot free, there's $350 to $400 right there, my man.

Front & Rear fenders, hood, door, cab, just about everything but the bed sides are direct swappable with 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks.

It's free. If you've got the extra room in your lawn, you'd be nuts not to take it.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 20
P
New Guy
New Guy
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 20
p.j.
Nice 1-ton, no reason to part it out.
Have a look at mine, before and after
http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/evans_jeff_1951.html

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
pafarmer, i've looked at your trucka and read your restoration story. i'm impressed. not sure i would have considered attempting bringing your truck back to life, but you've done an amazing job.

i'm pretty spoiled because my truck was in such nice shape when i got it. i've just had to deal with minor mechanical issues for the most part and some cosmetic stuff.

the more i look at this new 1 ton, the more i'm considering keeping it whole. not too many of these tonners left from what i can see.

thanks for all the responses everybody. not sure it's made the decision easier or harder smile

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,420
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,420
Go for it, or you'll be kicking yourself later.

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 466
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 466
I can't see the pics from my work computer, but from the responses it sounds pretty good. I saw a 1-ton a couple of years ago with the 9' box, cool truck. If it is still around in a few years I want to get it and build an old looking, teardrop shaped camper to mount on it.

Good Luck, Buddy


"Keep the shiny side up....."
'50 GMC Suburban
'55 1st Chevy Pickup
http://community.webshots.com/user/buddyinak
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
working out the transportation/storage issues. god, is my wife going to kill me! she was gracious when i told her about the 41 gmc and then the land cruiser, and now a one ton?!? anybody have a garage i could live in? smile

Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 254
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 254
one truck that'd i'd eventually like to get is a 1 ton with the 9ft bed it's kinda unique and like Fumblin46 said ain't to many 1 tons with factory beds also thats a really good lookin truck not really any rust from what i can see and anymoney says the one i find will look like swiss cheese which is a common thing in the rust belt
Nate


Link to my photobucket for pics of my vehicles
http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff17/OldIronChevy/
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 1,159
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 1,159
Yes, by all means, grab the truck and preserve it as is. The 1-ton ADs are not common. I have one and it sure looks cool parked in a line with 1/2-tons and 3/4-tons (it sits higher and the back sticks waaaaaaaaay out beyond the little trucks!)

grin
John


~ One of many.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0