Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,459 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 11 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 11 | Now, I know... we don't love these trucks for their fuel efficiency. But given that regular unleaded is pushing $3 a gallon these days... I'm sure it's on everyone's minds.
So, given a stock stovebolt, say, a 216 with a 3-speed manual... what kind of gas mileage have you fine folks been observing?
"A 10-speed? No need... my pickup gets me where I please... a-chuggin' down the street..." -Jimmy Buffett
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 640 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 640 | I haven't actually driven mine yet, but the records I got from the previous owner indicate he fot anywhere from 12 to 15 m.p.g. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 103 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 103 | I have had my stock 1951 truck for 3 years and have taken some extended trips. Everything tuned up properly (new points,condensor, and plugs) will get me 17 mpg @ 45 mph. In town results are less - 14 or fewer. Which reminds me, I need a tune up! BW | | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | Goofy, welcome to the bolt,, mine now gets about 16-21,,,,,,,,,,,,,use to get about 10 ... Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 | Grandpa tells me that he used to get 15-20 mpg, depending upon how much he was hauling and how heavy his foot was. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I get 12 to 14 around town. Probably more like 16 or 17 running down the highway. That's a GMC 270 with a stock SM420 and 3.08 gears out back.
Because of the price of gas I've been driving it more often. My primary driver is a 454 powered 1-ton that has never done better than 10 mpg.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | About 15 mpg w/216 & 3 speed in my 53'. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Last time i figured it, about 10, if I keep my size 14 out of the throttle.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 11 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 11 | Thanks for so many great replies, folks. It looks like my guesses were pretty much right about average mileage being around 15 mpg.
Would you folks recommend using the lead fuel additive for each tank of gas in these old 'bolts, or just fill it up with regular unleaded and go?
"A 10-speed? No need... my pickup gets me where I please... a-chuggin' down the street..." -Jimmy Buffett
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 | I usually pour a couple of capfuls of Marvel Mystery Oil into the tank before I fill it up.It gives the top end a little lubrication,keeps the carb clean,and,for some reason,seems to up the octane a little,too. Speed | | | | | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 11 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 11 | Originally posted by speed: I usually pour a couple of capfuls of Marvel Mystery Oil into the tank before I fill it up.It gives the top end a little lubrication,keeps the carb clean,and,for some reason,seems to up the octane a little,too. Speed Man, is there anything that stuff Isn't good for? I hear it also thickens paint, re-grows hair and removes unsightly liver spots. Seriously, though, that's an interesting tip. Any other additives you folks found that help your mileage and/or performance?
"A 10-speed? No need... my pickup gets me where I please... a-chuggin' down the street..." -Jimmy Buffett
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | Not an additive but keep your tailgate down. I get 24 w/my toyotas up, 29 w/it down. Tested it numerous times and it works despite people telling me it doesnt.
Jeff | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 32 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 32 | my 54 with a v8 and 4 spd auto (700R4/3.08 gears) was getting about 11 MPG ***BEFORE*** a carb rebuild. I haven't had enough data to see how much the MPG has changed since I rebuilt it about a month ago, but I expect it to go up at least to 15 MPG city | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 23 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 23 | "Would you folks recommend using the lead fuel additive for each tank of gas in these old 'bolts, or just fill it up with regular unleaded and go?"
I just fill my '55 up with regular unleaded. It doesn't go very far, but it does go... | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 3,442 Moderator - The Electrical Bay | | Moderator - The Electrical Bay Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 3,442 | my 2005 6L 2500 with 4:10 rear end is getting 15.3 mpg... better if i can miss a few stoplights.. gotta keep my foot out of all that HP tho.
The Ox gets about 10 mpg, but it's got a bad carb and I've got a heavy foot (283)
the Coupe gets about 12 mpg, with a good carb and my heavy foot (350).
Another quality post. Real Trucks Rattle HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 | volcan96,sounds like you got problems there with that setup.I am running a 350 V/8 in my 55 2nd,with a 700R4 OD,and stock 3:90 rear and getting 20 MPG all the time. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,223 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,223 | My 250 with auto matic and 3.08 get 18 or 19 on the road, and around 14 or 15 in town depending on the amount of hotrodding I do! Three carbs sound really cool wide open..... Joe | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 688 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 688 | My Bolt gets "lucky 13" Cliff59 | | |
| |