The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 125 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,425
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#213135 08/06/2006 4:16 AM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 11
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 11
Now, I know... we don't love these trucks for their fuel efficiency. But given that regular unleaded is pushing $3 a gallon these days... I'm sure it's on everyone's minds.

So, given a stock stovebolt, say, a 216 with a 3-speed manual... what kind of gas mileage have you fine folks been observing?


"A 10-speed? No need... my pickup gets me where I please... a-chuggin' down the street..." -Jimmy Buffett
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
I haven't actually driven mine yet, but the records I got from the previous owner indicate he fot anywhere from 12 to 15 m.p.g.


1948 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Tuesdays with Morris"
In the Legacy Gallery
Find it - Fix it - Drive it
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 103
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 103
I have had my stock 1951 truck for 3 years and have taken some extended trips. Everything tuned up properly (new points,condensor, and plugs) will get me 17 mpg @ 45 mph. In town results are less - 14 or fewer. Which reminds me, I need a tune up!
BW

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Goofy, welcome to the bolt,, mine now gets about 16-21,,,,,,,,,,,,,use to get about 10 ...


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
Grandpa tells me that he used to get 15-20 mpg, depending upon how much he was hauling and how heavy his foot was.


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I get 12 to 14 around town. Probably more like 16 or 17 running down the highway. That's a GMC 270 with a stock SM420 and 3.08 gears out back.

Because of the price of gas I've been driving it more often. My primary driver is a 454 powered 1-ton that has never done better than 10 mpg.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
About 15 mpg w/216 & 3 speed in my 53'.


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Last time i figured it, about 10, if I keep my size 14 out of the throttle.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 11
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 11
Thanks for so many great replies, folks. It looks like my guesses were pretty much right about average mileage being around 15 mpg.

Would you folks recommend using the lead fuel additive for each tank of gas in these old 'bolts, or just fill it up with regular unleaded and go?


"A 10-speed? No need... my pickup gets me where I please... a-chuggin' down the street..." -Jimmy Buffett
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
I usually pour a couple of capfuls of Marvel Mystery Oil into the tank before I fill it up.It gives the top end a little lubrication,keeps the carb clean,and,for some reason,seems to up the octane a little,too.
Speed


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 11
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 11
Quote
Originally posted by speed:
I usually pour a couple of capfuls of Marvel Mystery Oil into the tank before I fill it up.It gives the top end a little lubrication,keeps the carb clean,and,for some reason,seems to up the octane a little,too.
Speed
Man, is there anything that stuff Isn't good for? I hear it also thickens paint, re-grows hair and removes unsightly liver spots. wink

Seriously, though, that's an interesting tip. Any other additives you folks found that help your mileage and/or performance?


"A 10-speed? No need... my pickup gets me where I please... a-chuggin' down the street..." -Jimmy Buffett
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Not an additive but keep your tailgate down. I get 24 w/my toyotas up, 29 w/it down. Tested it numerous times and it works despite people telling me it doesnt.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 32
V
New Guy
New Guy
V Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 32
my 54 with a v8 and 4 spd auto (700R4/3.08 gears) was getting about 11 MPG ***BEFORE*** a carb rebuild. I haven't had enough data to see how much the MPG has changed since I rebuilt it about a month ago, but I expect it to go up at least to 15 MPG city


volcan96

--------------
Project Truck Website
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 23
O
Apprentice
Apprentice
O Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 23
"Would you folks recommend using the lead fuel additive for each tank of gas in these old 'bolts, or just fill it up with regular unleaded and go?"

I just fill my '55 up with regular unleaded. It doesn't go very far, but it does go...

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
my 2005 6L 2500 with 4:10 rear end is getting 15.3 mpg... better if i can miss a few stoplights.. gotta keep my foot out of all that HP tho.

The Ox gets about 10 mpg, but it's got a bad carb and I've got a heavy foot (283)

the Coupe gets about 12 mpg, with a good carb and my heavy foot (350).


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
volcan96,sounds like you got problems there with that setup.I am running a 350 V/8 in my 55 2nd,with a 700R4 OD,and stock 3:90 rear and getting 20 MPG all the time.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
My 250 with auto matic and 3.08 get 18 or 19 on the road, and around 14 or 15 in town depending on the amount of hotrodding I do! Three carbs sound really cool wide open..... Joe

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 688
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 688
My Bolt gets "lucky 13" smile

Cliff59


Deluxe \'52, Savoy \'54 Apache59
"She may not be the youngest girl at the ball, but she can still turn a head or two."

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0