The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Gray_Ghost, Uncles51, Hush, Hawkman, fonz8261), 195 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
I work on my 'bolt in my garage.

It's a standard 2 car attached deal (24'x28' I think... I'll have to look at the plans)

I did manage to shoehorn all of my stuff in, which is impressive, imho.


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
wodniw5,
Sorry about the English thang, I take each person as they come. They get to prove if they are ---holes or not. It is funny though to hear a gin-n-tonic slurred English accent while being yelled at!
Cheers!

RedGreen, That is why I think selling them as condos would work. I have heard of storage places for high-end RV's and yachts being sold as condos. I would help you out with cash, but I have my 2 million wrapped up in mutual funds.

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 209
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 209
Yes as they say good fences make great neighbors. lol I work on my projects in a 1 1/2 car garage (1939) house. It gets cramped at times but I just bought a 10x10 metal shed for out back to relieve the pressure. I plan on building a oversized two car garage in the near future. Plenty of room behind the house but not plenty of money. There were some neat gated communities near Sacramento (calif) that had two car garages and one more for their planes. Thats right planes! They would taxi down the street and drive into their garages.

Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 191
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 191
Well I haven't got a bolt of my own yet to work on, but I have worked on all my other junk in the barn, I converted an old milking parlor into a small garage(works good for mine and my son's old Willys jeeps and the Cub Cadet), but it's really too small for a truck. I'd like to eventually pour a concrete floor in one of the barns, get the electric hooked up and put in a compressor. As far as neighbors, they ain't too bad, one has a junkyard(nice I don't have to go far to hunt parts!)the other one we just really don't pay much attention too, LOL!

I'm gonna check about a 70 3/4 ton tomorrow, I'd forgot about it, might be able to do some creative swapping and get it, I'll keep y'all posted.

It's been a real good week for bolt hunting, I've seen a real nice 57 1/2 ton and today at Wal-mart I saw what looked to be a 65 'burb 4x4. I've also found several big bolts, wouldn't mind finding one with a dump bed. The search goes on! grin

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 355
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 355
We've got a 2 car garage on 11 acres and we live about 16 miles from town, so no real problems. That said, both bolts are in the garage, but my Honda and my Suburban both sit in the driveway. My next project, a '59 F*rd, is tucked behind our horse-hay stockpile behind the horse barn.

So, my "stuff" is exposed too, but it is always easier to point at the neighbors. For example, one neighbor has 14 - yes, 14 - vehicles in front of his house - none classic, and many either wrecked or non-drivable sporting green and blue tarp for windows. Sometimes, I wish they'd move the derelicts, but then I remind myself that they have to put up with my 8-horse manure factory.

We just try to mind our own business, keep our fences tight, and be good neighbors. For the most part, it is a formula that works.


~ Kimberly
My '54 ... and my '63 and a '59 F100
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
NOW YOU GOT MY DANDER UP
GATED COMMUNITIES S?%K
They DON'T ALLOW MOTOCYCLES !!!!!!!!!!!
LET ALONE OLD THINGS LEFT OUTSIDE OF PARKED ON THE STREET. HEAVEN FORBID YOU EVEN WORK OR HAVE TOOLS IN YOUR GARAGE

ONLY A GOLF CART


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 422
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 422
I don't work on my AD it is all done!

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 47
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 47
I do my work outside in back of my garage which is a two car that is filled with parts ,tools and basic junk. When the city comes around, I have to move the vehicles that don't have current license inside. This is a quite a problem for my wife as her car sits outside. The neighbors don't seem to care as they all have their garages full of junk too. Very few people in my neighborhood actually park cars in the garage.
James


Heres to us and those like us, theres darn few left.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 117
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 117
I tell you that if my neighbors brought in a bunch of junk cars and placed them all around their yard ,you bet they would hear from me. I'd be over there checking out all of that cool old iron. grin You can't have, want or enjoy freedom while trying to take it from others. We seek our neighbors wellbeing by being a friend when needed and staying away when not.

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
where ever it stops running,,,,,,,,,,,,,


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
No work being done to the trucks until I get my building finished. I was lucky to have a couple acres in the city with lots of privacy.


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 408
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 408
jomichael,
No offense taken my aunt can throw down 20 g/t's
and you can't understand her but she is still the dart champ.All of my cousins and uncles would kill for an old bolt to work on front yard or country club garage.cheers at ya

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 200
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 200
I stayed in one of those gated communities you are talking about in Miami of all places. Pain in the neck! Everyting in Miami is so expensive that the owners of those tiny houses protect the image like they got some huge investment. I laugh because I grew up a farm boy and can remember places 100 times bigger for less money and you can park your bolts under the trees-Hence the name shadetree mechanic! Right now I live in Seoul Korea and there aint no bolts here. (my project 46 one ton is in storage stateside) But those communities can stay where they are at-when i get home I am going back to the country!

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
packhorse32, What are you doing in Seoul? Military? I spent a day there on my way to Thailand. I have never seen so many neon crosses in my life. And the taxi drivers think they are Formula One drivers.

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
Hey Joker bro..I work on mine for preventive maintenance, but if you don't talk real nice and treat your bolt like your best friend, you will be working on it when you least expect it, and the truck will be grinnin...

Shoop

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 112
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 112
I've got seven acres,a double wide,an ole lady,,I mean my better half,no neighbors and a 12 by 20 slab of 40 year old concrete,but no shop/garage.My uncle and cousin are mechanics and both have shops less than a mile from me either direction,but they work in them daily to make a living so get'n a chance to use them is rare,besides my projects usually wont make the 5,280ft journey under there own power so for now I'm stuck to tear'n up,,I mean restoring my projects outside in the elements on the cool,wet,breezy or what ever the weather's do'n little 12 by 20 slab,but just wait untill I hit that lottery!!!!


1949 Styleline Special
1972 K5 Blazer
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
BFD is what is my answer.Sorry this is america I hope.If not take the 5th and keep your power dry :rolleyes: :mad: :mad:


dan-pa
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 200
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 200
jomichael-I am a retired soldier working civil service here in seoul, and my wife has seven years to go till she retires from the Army. That is the reason I agreed to come here and work, so we could be together. I hate Korea and I drive a KIA every day, till I can leave. We have one 2002 LTZ trailblazer here with us, but I bought that truck for my wife and thats what she drives. She loves it and I must say Chevy made a nice truck. It has everything you can think of. I also have a 1/2 ton dodge ram 4x4 in storage stateside. Cant wait to get home and drive that one again. But yes you are right-the drivers over here have NO SENSE and you could get killed here easy because they Dont care. I wonder though-Is a 2002 Trailblazer considered a stovebolt or is it too new?


1946 modified One Ton Chevy

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
packhorse32, I think most would agree that the 2002 can't be considered a stovebolt, but at least it sounds like a nice truck. You are a dedicated husband. I could imagine living in Thailand for seven years but not Korea. I know a lot of Koreans through martial arts, and they are all really great people, but the short time I was in Seoul, the people seemed to dislike Americans. Take care and good luck.

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 305
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 305
i live in a cookie cutter nabiorhood but untill my nabiors pay my morgage and bills thay can stay the hell on ther side of the street becouse no hoa crap on my street


ya I know a few rednecks.Thay all drive chevys to,
Proud member of the Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
AND A MARINE
trucks range from 1942 1/2 ton to 1965 fire engine
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 140
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 140
Dad has got a 30X30 garage that is real nice I work on my trucks wherever they happen to be I also have a 20X20 slab to work on


Now boltless but looking
1951 F-1 350/350
1965 Mustang 355 glide
1971 F-100 401 fe it hates me
1972 Maverick 302 c4
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Often I work on mine in my head.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 453
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 453
When I bought my truck, 53 6400, I had to build a garage for the truck to fit in. Was planning on building one anyway, but after I bought the truck, plans for the size of the garage increased (2) fold.


FortKnox...I love your reply!!!!!!!!

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
I used to have an acre lot in the next town over, across the street, from my mother, & grandmother. I worked on all of my trucks there, for over 20 years. At one time, had as many as 15 trucks parked over there. Sold the land last year, downsized my collection, so now to my wifes dismay, I've got four trucks, in my backyard, & two trucks, in my mother, & grandmothers backyard.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
I have 1.28 acres w/30x30 shop wood frame covered in metal. My next door neighbor is a trucker,long distance ower-operator, there is a circa1905 low rent house-meth lab across the street from him. I get no complaints, but the golf course community just over the hill does not even allow you to open your garage door unless pulling car in/out! no satellite dishes, no work trucks after 5PM, no cars on grass, no mowing except certain hours,etc etc,its crazy folks wanna do that. brian


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
I LIVE IN A GATED COMMUNITY...

My neighbor (across from me) in the big white house that overlooks everyone else is not impressed with old trucks... but he likes guns and has a potential gold mine in his garage... an old fairly rare porshe.

I do my work in one of my garages, or out in front of the new garage.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
In my nieghborhood, we tell the newcomers that there are only two rednecks allowed on the street, and we are both car, pickup and motorcycle freaks. We keep the bad elements out so our kids, wives, motorcycles, cars, trucks are as secure as possible, so they don't need to mess with the system.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
We do all our work in our 2 car garage while our daily driven vehicles sit in the driveway, wife only gets ****** in the winter when the snow and cold weather comes. We have 12 very heavily wooded acres, thinking about getting it logged this winter so we can build a 30'x 40'garage. Can't figure out any other way to get the money to build it. I retired in June after 38 years of teaching.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 442
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 442
I'm probably the only one in this 'gated' community who drinks cold beer, listens to Lynerd Skynerd (cranked up loud) and works on an old Chevy truck. gotta love it !!!


Gotta 3rd garage, attached, 14x24, its the shope area

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 222
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 222
When my brother was in college his room mate kept his Harley in the dorm. He ran a lamp cord throught the handle bars and let the lamp hang out the other end. Called it a Harley lamp. They let him get away with it for a while until they figured it had gas in it... How about this, put a tarp over it and call it a Bentley. Or move so you can lower your nose a few degrees. Or get the closest rural newspaper and put a wanted ad in it to rent someones machine shed. Mine stays in the machine shed.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e187/Sawmill/107-0709_IMG.jpg
Rick

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I use a 25'x50' steel quonset Hut that my father owns.He bought his house on 5 acres and the quonset hut was already there from the previous owner.He spent 13 years filling it up with garbage(literally garbage)until fall of 2004 when I cleaned it out and slowly turned it into a shop.He's not mechanical in any way,shape or form so I get it all to myself.I pay the electric which is pretty cheap.The only downside is that it isn't where I live so I have to drive there and if my dad sees me I normally wind up helping him with something else,fair deal. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0