Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,558 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 | If diets have failed you, here's one that will make you lose your appetite. We made a deal with the guy just down the road from the shop to replace the engine in his pristine 56 GMC for him putting the metal skin on the framework over our new paint booth which is seperate from the shop. When he showed up the replacement was a 302 and C-4 from a Maverick. A deal is a deal so what can I say. It is easy to work on the distributer.
Any other wierd swaps you've seen?
Evan
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 154 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 154 | I had a 62 Chevy short bed fleetside with 235 with a 3/4 cam split manifold, dual cherry bombs and three on the tree that I blew up on the way home from work one night. When I got it in the garage I got the yard stick out and started to measure. I had a 389 Pontiac with 3 Duces and a 400 turbo sitting on the floor that had come out of a 1964 G T O that I had totaled about 3 months earlier. Pulled the 235 and set the 389 down in there and started welding in motor mounts, exhaust and so on. It was a real fast ride. The speedometer only went to 100 mph. The needle disapeared a couple times, but it was a real fun ride. | | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 328 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 328 | I have a freind with an LS1 Chevy engine in his Fox body Mustang. He says it has gods motor and the devils body.
Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine and into your brain...that is where crappy ideas come from.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 543 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 543 | When I was stationed in Germany, near the Dutch border, there was a Dutch guy near us that had a 455 Olds engine in a '73 Dodge Challenger. Didn't ahve anything to do with THAT swap, but it was, shall we say, unique???
One I did help a little on was putting a 327 Chevy engine in an Austin London taxicab, replacing the original Diesel engine...that car was a freak show from Hell! Ended up running pretty good when all was said and done!
Pessimist - Sees glass as half-empty. Optimist - Sees glass as half-full. Gov't- Sees glass and takes it from you because you have a glass. Political Correctness: A philosophical belief system bereft of common sense and logic, that supports and rewards ignorance and stupidity.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | wish I could tell you about mine but my wife might get upset  Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,842 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,842 | Joker, Good minds (slightly twisted maybe) think alike. I was wonder who was going to step to that unique level. I heard that back in summer of '70 or '71 this guy I know (very well) traded a Holley 4BBL carb for a half pound of that hemp stuff (aka Herbal fish finder). 2 days later he caught a 38# king Salmon at the mouth of the Klamath River, smoked it (the fish) and shared it amongst his fellow lumbermill peers. Again this is only what I heard.... 
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 613 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 613 | i used to have a buick v6 in my 64 c10. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 | spotted a early seveties ford pickup with a cadillac motor in it in a junkyard while looking for other parts it was a 472 I believe any way one of the bigger caddy motors Have no idea whether the swap was successful just know what I found when I popped the hood. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | hey, is this believe it or not  Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | I pulled the gears out of a Pontiac B-W 4-speed and put them in my Ford B-W 4-speed in my 390 powered Fairlaine. Had to use a Pontiac clutch plate.
Joker, Cgresham and I saw a roadster with a 280Z motor at the swap meet a couple weeks ago. It uses Kawasaki throttle bodies for the fuel injection. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | A co-worker has a 64 Ford 3/4 ton with a 383 Dodge in it. That truck really hauls, literally. Another guy put a 425 Buick Wildcat in his 67 C10. Both truck were done very well, Scott | | | | | Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 132 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 132 | Well I have built two odd ones: First was a 58 ford short narrow bed PU with a 354 Chrysler Hemi, pushbutton Torqueflite and 12" Chrysler drum brakes on the front axle.
Then, after my 79 Dodge D50 motor died I found a complete wrecked Mustang II with a rebuilt V6 and C4. Guy rebuilt the car for his 16 year old daughter, she drove it 1/2 block. Totaled it leaving the first stop sign early, hit a truck. Put the engine, trans and shifter in the D50. LOTS of fabrication on the exhaust! | | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 476 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 476 | I once put a Turbo 400 trans for a Jeep truck in my '69 Javelin, and then that same summer put a Saginaw 4 speed from a Camaro in my '67 Jeep Commando.
Don't lose your head to save a minute, You need your head, your brains are in it. Burma-Shave (1947)
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,989 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,989 | The guy who does my mechanic work put a 396 Chevy engine in a Massey Harris 44 tractor. You should see that thing at tractor pulls!! He also married a similar engine into an old Dodge 4x4 pickup for a pulling rig. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | I had a '65 Buick 225 V6 in a '55 CJ-5 jeep. That was a fun combo, but not all that strange, since the '67-'69 CJ-5's actually came with them. I didn't do the swap, but I did stick a 4 bbl Offenhauser manifold with a Qjet on it. It was a torque monster, it snapped the front spider gears in the differential. I could get the thing to wheelie on dry pavement.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 324 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 324 | Put a 429 in a mavrick once. That thing would fly. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 | Most effective was to replace the 360 in a 68 F0rd 3/4 ton flatbed with a 69 Lincoln 460. Same 9 MPG in town, but could pull my gooseneck stock trailer with six horses at seventy over the grapevine at about 3 MPG. Had 10 1/2 : 1 compression, but only needed to switch to the premium tank for hills.
Four carb Corvair in VW camper pulling race car could pass anthing except a transmission shop.
283 with iron powerglide in bugeyed Sprite used in slaloms.
Built 215 Buick in Alpha Romeo roadster.
252 Buick V6 with five speed, eight inch f--d in MGTD. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | hey Cletis, wasnt that the same one we saw at the ball-park that was parked on the street,,Gresham(Carter)stated he knew the guy? Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 | A neighbor had a Corvair campervan he used to pull his speedboat,but it burned up an engine each summer.So he pulled it down one winter and installed an Olds 455,.030 over,and transaxle from an Olds Toronado.The doghouse over the engine was made into the camper's kitchen table.This thing looked original outside,but you knew it was special when it passed you pulling a 28 foot boat,going about 95 mph. The wrecking yard I worked at for a while had a huge old forklift with a Cadillac 500 and automatic in it,replacing the old Dodge flathead 6 and 4 speed. Around that same time we had a Vega arrive in the yard with a flathead V-8 and truck gearbox in it. It was all connected,looked like it'd been driven that way. It was really cobbled in there though,the engine was set so high the heads were above the tops of the fenders. I also had a '62 shortbed I put a '64 Pontiac 389 in. (the engine came with 2 tri-power sets,but it had late model heads,so neither one would fit.)I hooked it to the stock truck 4 speed though. I used an aluminum bellhousing with a "starter mount" heli-arced to it,since the '64 was a hybrid year-had the new B.O.P. pattern,but still required the bellhousing mounted starter. I could get 3 or 4 starts out of it before the starter slid and wouldn't crank the engine anymore,then I had to loosen the bolts and pry the starter over and hold it while I tightened the bolts again. Finally switched the truck over to a built 350 Chevy engine. Speed | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 27 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: May 2005 Posts: 27 | I put a lawnmower starter on my little red wagon as a kid. It would do wheelies if nobody was in it. We had to wrap the old hard rubber tires with duct tape to get traction on a smooth surface. It flipped during a competition in a school gym and the allthread axle bored a hole in the nice floor. We were docked 50 points out of 200 and still took third place.
Priorities make dreams happen.
| | |
| |