The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, Peggy M, GDW, Gdads51, 1 invisible), 126 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,460
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Anyone know where to get an electric crescent wrench?

I'm supposed to get one for my B-I-L for his christmas present.... he wants it so he can work on his "new" 65 moostang.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
Metric or standard?
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 265
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 265
Glue a cord on one and he's set. My grandfather always got gifts like that for Christmas.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 442
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 442
I think maybe Sears??

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 119
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 119
Sears or Lowes has them

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
Somebody better explain to me??? are you just puttin me on? I'm kinda slow to catch on sometimes.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
I saw one at Lowe's, part of a B&D set of rechargeables, but you can buy them individually.

Gazim: This one is for folks who are either too tired to turn the worm gear on a crescent wrench, or are missing a thumb, or maybe they just like gadgets. You press the button and it works like a rapid traverse on a mill, turning the worm gear so that the jaws either open or close. There is a ratchet to keep it from stripping.

Bill

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
A city slickers speed wrench!

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
Quote
Gazim: This one is for folks who are either too tired to turn the worm gear on a crescent wrench, or are missing a thumb, or maybe they just like gadgets. Bill [/QB]
Geeze. what is the world coming to. I never liked cresent wrenchs anyway.( will put up with channel locks) Thanks.

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 354
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 354
What do you do when the battery runs out?


Harold Wilson
41 Chevy 3/4 Ton
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
geezzz... ask a simple question... look what i get.. :rolleyes:

thanks.. i'll look at lowes next time i'm in there..... :p

I thought it was a joke too.. but figured it would make for a good thread. eek


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 119
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 119
Just saw them at Lowes for $29.00. They also make a C clamp that adjust the same way. What is this world coming to?

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
I really need the exercise. grin

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 29
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 29
Just got a flyer, well as of when I finally opened the stack of mail. And in the Lowes flyer I see Black and Decker 8" Automatic Adjustable Wrench - #238339 -- $29.98.

Just watch out for thumb - carpel tunnel syndrum smile

Wade in NW Florida

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 206
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 206
saw one at pamida last week,they have the thumbscrew also so i suppose you can adjust it if the batt is dead to.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
I thought that when the battery went dead you just ended up with another 9/16" wrench. heheh

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 44
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 44
Wal-Mart has a $17 version of this thing. Too big to be of much use on automobiles, I think the brother in law ought to take a look at one before asking for one..... he probably thinks it's like an electric ratchet, not just electrically adjusted for size. If he wants one of those then he really needs a hobby. looks to be totally useless...the tool, not the brother in law, but then, maybe him too. I'm the only brother in law that ever amounted to much


Hello, Welcome to America
press '1' for English
Puess '2' to disconnect until you learn to speak English
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 153
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 153
Crecent makes a manual slide opening/closing wrench. There is a lever onthe handle, push up and it tightens. Great for under sink work thats about it.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 7
W
Junior Member
Junior Member
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 7
I saw a review somewhere on this tool . I will have to look for it . They did a complete test session and the wrench did what B&D says it will do , but concluded that it is in the class of "gizmos" , and didn't perform any better than a normal crescent .


"No Tool like an Old Tool "
http://www.papawswrench.com
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php <-- Tool Talk Forum
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,519
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,519
I saw em at Wally-World over the weekend. In all my years of working on cars,i think the only time ive used a crescent wrench is when changing the oil.(drain plug)
Do your BIL a favor,buy him a basic socket set at sears if hes just gettin started working on cars,, which is what it sounds like.

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
crescent wrench - 'A tool for rounding the corners off of bolt heads.'


Jeff Nelson

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
Electric Crescent Wrench?This is a shocking subject.Whats this world comin to???

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 7
W
Junior Member
Junior Member
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 7
I found a review of that wrench .
From Toolmonger

They have done a very extensive review .
Quote
Summary/Conclusion

The AutoWrench is a handy tool. Our tests proved that it can hold up to just about any realistic use around the house or home shop — or for that matter pretty much any shop. One reliability note: if you do manage to over-torque the wrench, it’ll never be the same again. Granted, you’ll probably need to either jump up and down on it or stick a long pipe on it to over-torque it, but we’ve certainly seen stranger things happen.

We only see one drawback to the AutoWrench, and that’s battery cost. If you only use it rarely, its two AAA batteries would last quite some time. But if you’re not using it much, do you really need the automation?

If you commonly use an adjustable wrench while hanging on to something else — or you just love cool gadgets – the AutoWrench will help. It’s not as strong as a standard adjustable wrench, but then again neither are you.

Street pricing starts around $30.


"No Tool like an Old Tool "
http://www.papawswrench.com
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php <-- Tool Talk Forum
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 7
W
Junior Member
Junior Member
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 7


"No Tool like an Old Tool "
http://www.papawswrench.com
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php <-- Tool Talk Forum
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Pull!!!!

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
I got one for Christmas, they say not to use pipe or extenders at all. Brian


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
What's next, electric pliers?

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 7
W
Junior Member
Junior Member
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 7
I own this wrench and it works as well as the B&D one , and is 100 years old !
I will admit that these are very hard to find these days and the size I have ( 5 7/8 " long ) sells for about $200 due to rarity !
It has a push button which allows the jaw to close on the fastener easily , the final adjustment is made with the thumbscrew .
[img]http://www.papawswrench.com/images/Athol1.jpg[/img]


"No Tool like an Old Tool "
http://www.papawswrench.com
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php <-- Tool Talk Forum
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
I would need the model that comes with a set of jumper cables to jump start it when the batteries die.


Wanted Good Woman:
Must be able to cook , clean , sew , tune engines and polish trucks. Must have old Stovebolt and garage. Please send picture of old Stovebolt and garage.
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
I like that idea for C clamps- They can apply more precice concentrated force than bar clamps but spinning them up and down is a pain.

I only use crescent wrenches when I have to.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Heck, that would be nice for "C" clamps AND bar clamps!! Can you imagine?? It would be like having a third hand!

Get everything in place and "zip"! Then a few turns to get it all snug!!

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 297
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 297
I found one in my "stocking" for Christmas along with that other "gadget wrench" that works on screwed up heads and eye screws etc. I kind of wish Mrs. Clause would have put that money on something else but I will give her credit - they were a surprise!!!!!!!!!!!!!


54 3100 w/62 235 "Yosemite Sam"
Born a Jay Hawk, raised an Okie and resurrected in Texas!http://community.webshots.com/user/djed50
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 297
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 297
I found one in my "stocking" for Christmas along with that other "gadget wrench" that works on screwed up heads and eye screws etc. I kind of wish Mrs. Clause would have put that money on something else but I will give her credit - they were a surprise!!!!!!!!!!!!!


54 3100 w/62 235 "Yosemite Sam"
Born a Jay Hawk, raised an Okie and resurrected in Texas!http://community.webshots.com/user/djed50
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Wallymart sold them for $28.++... but they were out of stock, so i'll have to look elsewhere.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 209
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 209
Im not old enough to start using electric wrenches. grin


Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0