I spent the day at my in-laws helping remove old trash so they can move. My f-in-law gave me the 66 Burb. Well, when cleaning out his garage, I came across points, distributer cap, vacuum unit and condenser in the original boxes with a receipt from '95. No rotor, shucks. In addition, I found a Rochecter 2 jet carburetor with choke. It's pretty dirty and may not work with my setup but I'll hold on to it. There were also several starters and alternators. I have to figure out what they go to.
While in town, I gave this test some thought. The wire came from the negative post on the coil. The truck is wired with negative ground. So didn't I just test neg to neg?
I did remove the cap so that I could monitor the points. They are fairly worn with a dusty buildup. If I do not need the ignition on, I could rotate the engine by hand at the fan couldn't I? This would give me better control. The solenoid on my starter is a bit flaky.
I did not know it meant overload. This is a window type distributor cap.
My day off is Tuesday. I'll try again then.
Thank you for the help. Any good auto electrical books you might suggest?
Mike