I have some very important information. Granted, this is the interpretation of the law by my local office, but I think it bears considering:

First, if you have YOM plates, they will expire in (I believe) March 2013. If you renew the plates before they expire, you can continue to use your plates. If you fail to renew your YOM plates, you LOSE them. The reason is very simple: Texas used to issue specialty plates, but they now subcontract this out. (I think it is subcontracted to myplates.com) YOM plates are treated like vanity plates. Since the state doesn't issue them, you must deal with the subcontractor, and the subcontractor does not deal in YOM plates. No renew, they are lost. Period.

As for farm tags, my tax office told me that you can't use farm plates, and this has been the law "for a long time." Nevermind the fact that this is the exact same office that allowed me to register my truck with YOM farm plates 2 years ago. Personally, I think when they did the inquiry as to whether my plate numbers were already issued, I think they see the tags as plain ol' YOM, not farm. In other words, the state has no official record of me running farm, only YOM.

When March 2013 comes around, I'm going to make darn sure that I renew before they lapse. I think I only send in the statement and the money, and don't have to walk in with the plates in hand. They don't ask, I won't tell.

Spot, if I were you, I'd still troll the various branch offices in your county and see if any allow you to register the farm tags as YOM. All they can say is "no". If you don't get them registered soon, you'll lose the window of opportunity.

Jim, YOM continue to be treated as antique tags with severe restrictions on use. No work travel, ok for maintenance, vehicle events, parades, etc. They will be changing CLASSIC plates in the next roll. According to my local clerk, they currently say CLASSIC AUTO or CLASSIC TRUCK. The new issue will simply read CLASSIC. (Reads like cost saving measure to me.)

One last thought: this change, as a result of subcontracting, is basically ending YOM plates in Texas. Those of us with the plates are grandfathered in, but over time, they will cease to be legal. Use'em if you got'em. We'll be quite rare as time goes by.

...and that's the interpretation in east Parker County. Your mileage may vary. wink

Bill