Thanks for the heads-up! I had no idea. I think all current ones are due for renewal in 2013, if memory serves me correctly. Perhaps this has something to do with being too close to the state-wide renewal date, and they don't want to issue a tag that will expire in less than a year. If you applied in April of 2012, your fee would be about $10 and the plates would only be good for 11 months. Seems to be a drain on personnel.

Then again, I could be fulla'bull.

Also, my YOM plates have the same use as the antiques: 5 year span, ~$60 cost, no inspection or windshield stickers.

One think I've learned from TxDOT: it all boils down to who you talk to. It wouldn't surprise me if you get a different answer on a different day.

Bill

From TxDOT:
Antique plates are issued for five-year periods. The registration fee for the five-year period is $50.30 ($10 per year, plus an additional 30 cents for the registration insignia) for vehicles manufactured in 1921 and subsequent years and $40.30 ($8 per year, plus an additional 30 cents for the registration insignia) for vehicles manufactured in 1920 and prior years. Fees are reduced $10/$8 for each year of the period that has elapsed at the time the application is filed.