diseldude03... its a big IF but if you can get the old dude to be paitent and help you just a little I think HE is the key here since he owns the trucks. I would hope the senario would go something like this.
The old guy goes down to the DMV, show his ID and tells them he wants a duplicate title as he lost his. I think this will open up a better window of communication at the DMV. Once he gets duplicate title then he can sign them over to you.
IF you both live in Ohio, with the titles, no one will even go out to check the vin #. Once titled in your name you could later go tell the DMV your vin tag has "fell off" somewhere and you need whatever it is that they provide in this case. At least that is some "version" of the truth and there is no criminal violation.
Hope this gives you some ideas but I know how state DMV's can be.