Originally Posted by OldSub
[room between springs and plates]
With only 3/8ths on a side I'd worry about the the u-bolts clearing. If its 2-3/8ths then it should be no problem.
I'll do some more checking.
that clearance is at the edge of the backing plate, there is a little more room in the middle where it's needed, not sure if it's enough room though.
The disc brake conversion kit would solve the problem.
I'll look into using single wheel drums that have less offset/dish and making a spacer for the backing plate (not sure if it's a safe or good idea though?). Might not fit any how.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-