Originally Posted by Grigg
Scott is quite helpful, even sold me the axle I'll use.
Here's a thread showing his complete disc conversion with parking brake calipers too.
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11387
That was an interesting thread. I sometimes think of joining that forum because they talk about things I'm interested in beyond the Diesel stuff.

Just one comment in regards to Scott's defense of driveline brakes. While I have never broken both driveshafts (I have broken one) I once split a transfer case in two in such as way that neither driveline recieved power from the motor. The vehicle was dead where it sat with the front axle in a ditch that was hidden by snow.

There was no threat of it rolling, but a transmission mounted driveline brake would not have held it. An axle or transfer case mounted brake probably would have.

This was a '70 Blazer (in about 1980) that I'm sure used the rear service brakes for emergency brake. I've owned several four-wheel-drives since, but my wild off-roading days are long in the past.

My point is that we want to be smart about things like disk brake conversions, but that there is a practical limit to how much we can protect ourselves.

Copying the design of a modern factory system is probably going to offer the best engineered and likely safest choice. However that's hard to do on the front of our trucks unless you go with Grigg's narrowed axle approach.

Be smart and be careful. When you do something different than the factory be sure you know why it works and why its better and what its limitations might be.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...