Edit Pictures of this project are in, and will be added to, this album: http://rides.webshots.com/album/576070122yffTjF

Another idea for axle swaps, so far the best idea I've found.

I just purchased a GM corporate "14 bolt" rear for my single wheel AD 1 ton pickup, comes with 4.10 gears which I think is perfect for a 235 in a 1 ton.

Faster and slower gears are available too.

Lots of 14 bolt info here
More here with a link to the service manual

The version to look for is from a truck sold as a cab and chassis, like a truck with a service bed, or some step vans, what ever it is it'll have dual wheels.
This will have drum brakes, but inexpensive disc brake caliper bracket kits are available to use factory Chevy truck parts.

The dual wheel C&C axles have approximate 63.5" Wheel Mounting Surface to WMS measurement.
The stock axle from my 52 1 ton has a 62.625" measurement, so if you can live with the (single) wheels each sitting about 7/16" further out it'll work just fine.

You don't want a dually axle from a pickup truck, they are about 72" from WMS to WMS = to wide.


What I don't yet know is if the really big drum brakes will fit or if they hit the springs, what's the distance between backing plates?

The hubs will stick out about 4", not sure if this fits under the stock hub cap?

Don't know about spring center spacing, but perches can be cut and welded to fit and to correct pinion angle if needed too.

Drive shaft U-joint will fit, same Spicer 1350 series, don't know on drive shaft length?

Just for info the stock front axle measures approximately 58.25" from WMS to WMS. I'll be researching and fabricating some sort of disc brake or complete axle conversion before to long. So many people talk about it but very few if any have actually done it for a single wheel 1 ton? So for now add me to the list of folks that talk about it, hopefully I can one day be removed from that list wink

Axle should get here in time for Christmas, I'll do some more measuring, calculating and posting then.

Grigg

Last edited by Grigg; 12/28/2009 3:24 AM.

•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-