Ok. Not going to be stepping on toes or invading one's personal space. The '53 isn't going anywhere, so I have some time to mellow out. I can either turn this into a real frankenstien's monster {it may end up that way} but will keep all parts in the GM family. Yes, I have a "we need" list, and a steering box, column, a steering wheel, and a Blazer rear axle tops it if I'm to keep with the 6-lug wheel setup.
Otherwise the "Radical Change R&D" department is suggesting going for 8-lug axles. Please note: the pickup box is going to be exchanged for a "made from scratch" short-sided hydraulic dump bed, with the tailgate in its front wall under the rear window. Since I have some time {32 years} with the PM1225 group, and they do photo shoots with old pickup trucks, I thot they needed something new in their viewfinder. The '53's doors will read "Owosso Fuel & Supply" when she gets the final coats of paint. This means that I have a stepside box with rear fenders on the swap table.
Getting a newer 1-ton 14-bolt rear is easy, but did they make a straight axle with 8-lug wheels? Or do I have to hunt for a newer chassis like the '89 2WD had {coil springs and A-arms}?
Last edited by OldeScouter; 10/23/2009 12:27 PM.