Based on advice in this thread I went back and re-coated the few items I previously treated with phosphoric acid. When that surface coating loosened up I wiped the parts down right away and now have nicely coated parts without the rough surface coating they had before. They could be primed right away now without a lot of prep. That tip of re-coating saved me a lot of prep work. The big thing I was missing was keeping the surface wet and wiping it off while still wet. There is a lot of advice suggesting leaving it on overnight. I think some of my confusion comes because it is okay to leave it overnight or even soak rusty metal. Stripped shiny metal needs only a few minutes and then wiped clean. Many of my parts are going to have some areas of rust and some shiny metal. I am now comfortable enough using phosphoric acid to start treating my body panels as I finish each one and will start priming when I have a few pieces ready.
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Chuck