I have been right where you are my friend. Not with a shop but just discouraged in general. I agree with many of the things said above.

I swapped a 235 in place of my dead 216. Things didnt always go right but its done. I have a few bugs to work out but I have driven the truck and couldn't be happier.

I also think the '5 minute' advice is great. I have found sometimes its just getting out there and getting started thats the toughest part.

Also, find a friend or friends close by with similar interests. I have a coupla 'hot rod - vintage car' buddies who without their help and encouragement, I could not have done it. I also found a great online friend on here who allowed me to call him or PM when I needed advice/help.

Do the things you can and get help with the things you can't. Try to do everything (within reason and according to your capabilities) yourself. This not only teaches you how/why/what but helps you to keep things right once their done. And you'll know your truck better than anyone.

Bottom line, don't throw in the towel my friend. Take a break/get away from it for a few days. I've also found 'treating' myself to a new part/manual/goodie whatever, also helps gets the juices flowing.

Hang in there!


"My tires and tubes are doing fine, but the air is showing through" smile

1946 Chevrolet 1/2-ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket