So the upshot of all these strong statements - as I read it, Skybum(GREAT handle, by the way) - is that if you intend to drive it, change out the gear ratio and keep the alternator. Pull off the 17" widowmakers, vacuum-seal 'em or something, and install some 16" (or 19" or wotever) radials and drive the old gal or sell her to someone who will! Put seat belts in it if you must, but the brakes are just fine on my '51 because they're up to spec: I had to pull 'er down fast again last week for another cellphone-equipped lamebrain, and nobody got hurt. Double the curb weight and I have to pay more attention, to be sure, but as a professional trucker I can attest to the fact that my '51 is as original as it can be, and as upgraded as it must be to keep working hard. Which was the whole idea, once upon a time.
picture Oh, and I'd swap them mirrors out for something that works in today's traffic, too. Can't beat the widest-possible fields of vision.
Uh-oh. Screwed the pic posting up again.